Crowdsource Based Vehicle Tracking System
- 34 Downloads
The transport of developing countries faces lots of problems including heavy traffic jams, the uncertainty of waiting time, increased fuel consumption and the risk of road accidents due to unmanaged traffic flow. These problems are being solved by using Intelligent Transportation System (ITS). In this paper, In this paper, we propose the tracking of vehicles which uses crowdsourced positioning data obtained from GPS of smartphones. Traditional transit tracking is costly and resources limited, thus instead installing a tracking device in each vehicle, the location of each vehicle is tracked by user’s smartphone. The positioning data from GPS of smartphone is used as an input. We have developed an algorithm, that will detect and recognize the specific vehicle based on crowdsourced data. Using this the users waiting for their desired vehicle at various routes can track vehicle’s current location and estimated the time the vehicle will take to reach their location. In this research paper, we have analyzed the usability and reliability of crowdsourcing tracking data in terms of usage of battery charge, power consumption, CPU utilization and response time. It can be seen in the results that proposed work consumes power in between the range of 412 mW to 502 mW only. Whereas, maximum CPU utilization goes up to 0.3%. In the end, the battery life of the proposed system is compared with existing work and it shows proposed system have more battery life than existing systems. As a case study, we have applied our algorithm for tracking of university buses.
KeywordsVehicle tracking system ITS Crowdsource Vehicle identification
- 2.Chen, P., & Liu, S. (2010). Intelligent vehicle monitoring system based on GPS, GSM and GIS. In 2010 WASE international conference on information engineering (ICIE) (Vol. 1, pp. 38–40). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 3.Tarapiah, S., Atalla, S., & AbuHania, R. (2013). Smart on-board transportation management system using gps/gsm/gprs technologies to reduce traffic violation in developing countries. International Journal of Digital Information and Wireless Communications (IJDIWC), 3(4), 430–439.Google Scholar
- 4.Thiagarajan, A., Biagioni, J., Gerlich, T., & Eriksson, J. (2010). Cooperative transit tracking using smart-phones. In Proceedings of the 8th ACM conference on embedded networked sensor systems (pp. 85–98). ACM.Google Scholar
- 5.Pham, H. D., Drieberg, M., & Nguyen, C. C. (2013). Development of vehicle tracking system using GPS and GSM modem. In 2013 IEEE conference on open systems (ICOS) (pp. 89–94). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 6.Punetha, D., & Mehta, V. (2014). Protection of the child/elderly/disabled/pet by smart and intelligent GSM and GPS based automatic tracking and alert system. In 2014 International conference on advances in computing, communications and informatics (ICACCI) (pp. 2349–2354). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 7.Rahman, M. M., Mou, J. R., Tara, K., & Sarkar, M. I. (2016). Real time Google map and arduino based vehicle tracking system. In International conference on electrical, computer & telecommunication engineering (ICECTE) (pp. 1–4). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 8.Muruganandham, M. P. R. (2010). Real time web based vehicle tracking using GPS. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 61(1), 9–91.Google Scholar
- 10.Kiran Kumar, G., & Prasad, A. Mallikarjuna. (2012). Public transportation management service using GPS–GSM. IJRCCT, 1(3), 64–68.Google Scholar
- 11.Dinkar, A. S., & Shaikh, S. A. (2011). Design and implementation of vehicle tracking system using GPS. Journal of Information Engineering and Applications, 1(3), 1–7.Google Scholar
- 13.Raghunath, S., Visalakshmi, P., & Sridhar, K. (2013). GPS datum conversion and kalman filtering for reducing positional errors. Asian Journal of Computer Science & Information Technology, 1(5), 141–145.Google Scholar
- 14.Al, K., & Mohammad, A. (2012). Hybrid GPS–GSM localization of automobile tracking system. CoRR. arXiv:1201.2630.
- 15.Chadil, N., Russameesawang, A., & Keeratiwintakorn, P. (2008). Real-time tracking management system using GPS, GPRS and Google earth. In 5th International conference on electrical engineering/electronics, computer, telecommunications and information technology, 2008. ECTI-Con 2008 (Vol. 1, pp. 393–396). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 17.Fuad, M. R. A., & Drieberg, M. (2013). Remote vehicle tracking system using GSM modem and Google map. In 2013 IEEE conference on sustainable utilization and development in engineering and technology (CSUDET) (pp. 15–19). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 19.Lee, S., Tewolde, G., & Kwon, J. (2014). Design and implementation of vehicle tracking system using GPS/GSM/GPRS technology and smartphone application. In 2014 IEEE world forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT) (pp. 353–358). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 20.Zhang, Q., Zhang, Y., & Li, J. (2015). Easycomeeasygo: Predicting bus arrival time with smart phone. In 2015 Ninth international conference on frontier of computer science and technology (FCST) (pp. 268–273). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 21.Lau, E. C.-W. (2013). Simple bus tracking system. Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Technology Research, 3(1), 60–70.Google Scholar
- 23.Hadwen, T., Smallbon, V., Zhang, Q., & D’Souza, M. (2017). Energy efficient LoRa GPS tracker for dementia patients. In 2017 39th annual international conference of the IEEE engineering in medicine and biology society (EMBC) (pp. 771–774).Google Scholar
- 24.Youssef, M., Yosef, M. A., & El-Derini, M. (2010). Gac: Energy-efficient hybrid GPS-accelerometer-compass GSM localization. In 2010 IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference GLOBECOM 2010 (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- 25.Constandache, I., Choudhury, R. R., & Rhee, I. (2010). Towards mobile phone localization without war-driving. In 2010 Proceedings IEEE INFOCOM (pp. 1–9).Google Scholar
- 26.Kjærgaard, M. B., Langdal, J., Godsk, T., & Toftkjær, T. (2009). Entracked: Energy-efficient robust position tracking for mobile devices. In Proceedings of the 7th international conference on mobile systems, applications, and services, MobiSys ’09, New York, NY, USA (pp. 221–234). ACM.Google Scholar
- 27.Zhuang, Z., Kim, K.-H., & Singh, J. P. (2010). Improving energy efficiency of location sensing on smartphones. In Proceedings of the 8th international conference on mobile systems, applications, and services, MobiSys ’10, New York, NY, USA (pp. 315–330). ACM.Google Scholar
- 28.Ozen, Y., Ozdemir, O., & Bandirmali, N. (2015). Android based energy aware real-time location tracking system. In 2015 Seventh international conference on ubiquitous and future networks (pp. 842–844).Google Scholar
- 31.Electronics, c., gps, v., tracking, g., devices, t. and alarm, d. (2017). GPS tracker car vehicle motorcycle truck real time gsm gprs track device alarm | ebay. ebay. Available at http://www.ebay.com/itm/gps-tracker-car-vehicle-motorcycle-truck-real-time-gsm-gprs-track-device-alarm-/391667067885?hash=item5b312d2bed:g:mxsaaoswnf9y7zll&autorefresh=true. Accessed 7 May 2017.
- 32.Electronics, c., gps, v., tracking, g. and devices, t. (2017). Vehicle GSM GPRS GPS tracker car tracking locator device tk102b fantastic | ebay. ebay. Available at http://www.ebay.com/itm/vehicle-gsm-gprs-gps-tracker-car-tracking-locator-device-tk102b-fantastic-/111936754512?hash=item1a0ff35350:g:npsaaoswz8zw3pz5. Accessed 7 May 2017.
- 33.Electronics, c., gps, v., tracking, g., devices, t., t..., s. and alarm, d. (2017). tk103a vehicle car GPS SMS GPRS tracker real time tracking device system alarm | ebay. ebay. Available at http://www.ebay.com/itm/tk103a-vehicle-car-gps-sms-gprs-tracker-real-time-tracking-device-system-alarm-/391767197846?hash=item5b37250896:g:yfwaaoswgtrxzi1d. Accessed 7 may 2017.
- 34.Electronics, c., gps, v., tracking, g., devices, t. and device, d. (2017). mini vehicle bike motorcycle car gps/gsm/gprs real time tracker tracking device | ebay. ebay. Available at http://www.ebay.com/itm/mini-vehicle-bike-motorcycle-car-gps-gsm-gprs-real-time-tracker-tracking-device-/351488688058?hash=item51d65bbfba:g:luuaaoswlvzv1-r. Accessed 7 may 2017.
- 35.Skylab. (2010). skm53 gps module datasheet.Google Scholar
- 36.Receiver, S. (2017). Skylab skm53 gps module embedded patch gps antenna mt3339 all in one gps receiver-in gps receiver & antenna from automobiles & motorcycles on aliexpress.com | alibaba group. aliexpress.com. Available at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/skylab-skm53-gps-module-embedded-patch-gps-antenna-mt3339-all-in-one-gps-receiver/32749819496.html?spm=2114.40010508.4.2.o8woqt. Accessed 7 May 2017.