Miniaturized Half-Mode Slow-Wave Substrate-Integrated Waveguide Bandpass Filter
- 40 Downloads
In this paper, a miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) band-pass cavity filter is presented. Miniaturization is achieved using the half-mode (HM) principle so the lateral dimension of the filter can be reduced by half. Moreover, the slow-wave (SW) technique is used to decrease the center frequency by more than \(30\%\). Combining these two techniques will reduce filter dimensions by more than \(75\%\) in comparison with the original SIW. By using an electromagnetic (EM) solver the effect of each geometrical parameter on the filter performance is demonstrated. Measurements on the fabricated filter are in good agreement with the numerical results. Input return loss is better than 10 dB, insertion loss of the filter is lower than 2.5 dB across a bandwidth of 3.3 GHz.
KeywordsSubstrate integrated waveguide SIW Half-mode Slow-wave Miniaturization
The authors express their gratitude to M. Hassanein Rabah, with the LEOST/COSYS-IFSTTAR, Lille, France, for his technical assistance in fabricating the experimental prototypes. The authors are grateful to Prof. Mahmoud Shahabadi University of Tehran, Iran, for his helpful comments and assistance.
- 1.Bertrand, M., Liu, Z., Pistono, E., Kaddour, D., & Ferrari, P (2015). A compact slow-wave substrate integrated waveguide cavity filter. In ISM conference.Google Scholar
- 6.Djerafi, T., & Wu, K. (2012). Multilayered substrate integrated waveguide 4 4 butler matrix. International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, 22(3), 336–344. https://doi.org/10.1002/mmce.20602.
- 7.Hao, Z., Hong, W., Li, H., Zhang, H., & Wu, K. (2005). A broadband substrate integrated waveguide (siw) filter. In 2005 IEEE antennas and propagation society international symposium (vol. 1, pp. 598–601).Google Scholar
- 8.Hong, J. S. G., & Lancaster, M. J. (2004). Microstrip filters for RF/microwave applications (Vol. 167). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- 9.Hong, W., Liu, B., Wang, Y., Lai, Q., Tang, H., Yin, X.X. et al. (2006). Half mode substrate integrated waveguide: A new guided wave structure for microwave and millimeter wave application. In IRMMW-THz 2006 joint 31st international conference on infrared millimeter waves and 14th international conference on teraherz electronics 2006 (pp. 219–219). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 10.Khalil, M., Kamarei, M., Jomaah, J., & Ayad, H. (2015). Substrate integrated waveguide miniaturization using slow wave and half mode techniques. In IEEE international microwave and RF conference (IMaRC).Google Scholar