Minimizing End-to-End Delay on Real-Time Applications
- 32 Downloads
In real time communication system, packets of lower prioritized flows suffer a longer queuing delay than the packets having higher priority. As a result, they reach at the destination in a long end-to-end delay and become less useful. In this paper, we have proposed a real time packet scheduling technique to minimize overall end-to-end delay among multiple flows. Here, elapsed time plays a major role to calculate priority of a packet. The packets, already spent a long queuing delay are re-assigned to lower priority. Also, the model reduces the priority of the higher prioritized packets when they are very early and approaching to the destination node. This model gives more importance to middle aged packets (neither too early nor too late with respect to packet creation and deadline of packet receiving) so that they can reach the destination within time bound. The model is experimented using NS-2 and performance has been compared with other queuing policies. Performance evaluation of this model exhibits moderated end-to-end latency of the flows and works more efficiently than other techniques.
KeywordsEnd to end delay Flow control Packet scheduling Energy efficiency Real time systems
- 7.Akyildiz, I., & Vuran, M. (2010). Wireless sensor networks. Advanced texts in communications and networking, Wiley. https://books.google.co.in/books?id=7YBHYJsSmS8C. Accessed 1 Dec 2014.
- 13.Wan, C.-Y., Eisenman, S.B., & Campbell, A.T. (2003). Coda: Congestion detection and avoidance in sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 1st international conference on Embedded networked sensor systems. ACM (pp. 266–279).Google Scholar
- 19.Monowar, M. M., Rahman, M. O., Pathan, A.-S. K., & Hong, C. S. (2012). Prioritized heterogeneous traffic-oriented congestion control protocol for wsns. The International Arab Journal of Information Technology, 9(1), 39–48.Google Scholar
- 20.Iyer, Y.G., Gandham, S., & Venkatesan, S. (2005). Stcp: A generic transport layer protocol for wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 14th international conference on computer communications and networks, 2005. ICCCN. IEEE (pp. 449–454).Google Scholar
- 21.Mishra, T.K., & Tripathi, S. (2014). Fair and reliable transmission control protocol for ad hoc networks. In 2014 Fourth international conference on advances in computing and communications (ICACC). IEEE (pp. 339–342).Google Scholar
- 25.Gungor, V.C., & Akan, O. (2006). DST: Delay sensitive transport in wireless sensor networks. In 2006 International symposium on computer networks. IEEE (pp. 116–122).Google Scholar
- 30.Jayachandran, P., & Andrews, M. (2010) Minimizing end-to-end delay in wireless networks using a coordinated edf schedule. In 2010 Proceedings IEEE INFOCOM . IEEE (pp. 1–9).Google Scholar
- 31.Mishra, T.K., & Tripathi, S. (2016) Node application and time based fairness in ad-hoc networks: An integrated approach. In Proceedings of 3rd international conference on advanced computing, networking and informatics. Springer (pp. 231–238).Google Scholar
- 32.NS-2.35. http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns. [Online; released Nov 4 2011] (2011).