Batching with Reneging and AMC for VoD Streaming Service over Wireless Networks
- 73 Downloads
In this paper, we develop a batching algorithm to provide Video on Demand (VoD) streaming service over wireless networks considering heterogeneous characteristics of VoD service. The proposed batching service considers both reneging behavior and adaptive modulation and coding (AMC). Two reneging behavior models are considered: the exponential and the convex models. A nonlinear programming problem is suggested for each reneging model to minimize the service latency with the reneging probability and the network capacity constraints. The performance of the reneging and AMC based network capacity of the proposed batching algorithm is experimented and compared to the unicast procedures. Simulations are performed to illustrate the excellence of the proposed batching algorithm. The AMC based network capacity and exponential reneging improve the latency by 66–77 and 35–46% respectively for high service arrival rates.
KeywordsVoD streaming service Batching window size Reneging AMC Nonlinear programming
- 8.Hua, K. A., and Sheu S. (1997). Skyscraper broadcasting: a new broadcasting scheme for metropolitan video-on-demand systems. In Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM (pp. 89–99).Google Scholar
- 11.Kim, H.-I., & Park, S.-K. (2008). A hybrid video-on-demand data broadcasting and receiving scheme of harmonic and staggered schemes. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 54(4), 771–778.Google Scholar
- 13.Hua, K. A., Cai, Y., and Sheu, S.(1998). Patching: A multicast technique for true video-on-demand services. In Proceedings ACM international conference on multimedia (pp. 191–200).Google Scholar
- 16.Dan, A., Sitaram, D., and Shahabuddin, P. (1994). Scheduling policies for an on-demand video server with batching. In Proceedings the second ACM international conference on Multimedia (pp. 15–23).Google Scholar
- 17.Aggarwal, C.C.,Wolf, J.L., and Yu P.S. (1996). On Optimal Batching Policies for Video-on-Demand Storage Servers. In Proceedings IEEE international conference on multimedia computing and systems (pp. 253–258).Google Scholar
- 18.Sarhan, N. J., and Qudah B. (2007). Efficient Cost-based scheduling for scalable media streaming. In Proceedings MMCN.Google Scholar
- 21.Tokekar, V., Ramani, A. K., and Tokekar, S. (2005). Analysis of batcing policy in view of user reneging in VOD system. In Proceedings IEEE Indicon (pp. 399–403).Google Scholar
- 22.Qudah, B., and Sarhan, N. J (2006) Towards scalable delivery of video streams to heterogeneous receivers. In Proceedings the 14th annual ACM international conference on Multimedia, Santa Barbara, CA, USA (pp. 347–356).Google Scholar
- 23.Poon, W.-F., Lo, K. T., & Feng, J. (2001). Adaptive batching scheme for multicast video-on-demand systems. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 47(1), 66–70.Google Scholar
- 24.Poon, W. F., Lo, K. T., & Feng, J. (2002). A Hybrid delivery strategy for a video-on-demand system with customer reneging behavior. IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, 48, 140–150.Google Scholar
- 25.GPP TS 36.213 V11.3.0 technical specification. Physical layer procedures (Release 11). http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/36213.htm.