Performance Evaluation of Cognitive Radio VoIP Users in Fading Environment
- 119 Downloads
In this paper we investigate three channel allocation algorithms for multi-channel cognitive radio networks: SNR-based allocation (SA), queue-based allocation (QA), and queue-based SNR-aware allocation (QSA). The efficiency of the proposed algorithms is investigated for VoIP cognitive radio users (CRs). The resource allocation in the SA and QA schemes is performed based on the channel quality status seen by each CR and its queue length, respectively. The channel allocation in the QSA scheme is based on both the queue length and the SNR status. The mean packet loss rate (PLR) as the main quality-of-service (QoS) parameter is scrutinized for each algorithm. Novel analytical structures together with new analyses are developed, by which the level of provisioning QoS of VoIP traffic in each of the proposed algorithms can be evaluated. Numerical results and comparisons are also presented. In particular, the QSA algorithm is shown to present the best QoS level and yield the least PLR among the three allocation schemes.
KeywordsCognitive radio networks Resource allocation Opportunistic scheduling QoS analysis VoIP services
- 1.Spectrum policy task force. Rep. OET Docket No. 02-135 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Cai, L., Liu, Y., Shen, X., Mark, J. W., & Zhao, D. (2010). Distributed QoS-aware MAC for multimedia over cognitive radio networks. In Proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM (pp. 1–5 ). doi: 10.1109/GLOCOM.2010.5683743.
- 7.Feng, S., & Zhao, D. (2010). Supporting real-time CBR traffic in a cognitive radio sensor network. In Proceedings of IEEE WCN (pp. 1–6). doi: 10.1109/WCNC.2010.5506276.
- 9.Gunawardena, S., & Zhuang, W. (2010). Voice capacity of cognitive radio networks for both centralized and distributed channel access control. In Proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM (pp. 1–5). doi: 10.1109/GLOCOM.2010.5683073.
- 11.Homayounzadeh, A., & Mahdavi, M. (2016). Improving voice-service support in cognitive radio networks. ETRI Journal, 38(3), 444–454.Google Scholar
- 14.Liang, Z., & Zhao, D. (2010). Quality of service performance of a cognitive radio sensor network. In Proceedings of IEEE ICC (pp. 1–5). doi: 10.1109/ICC.2010.5502787.