Joint Estimation of Carrier and Sampling Frequency Offsets in the Uplink of Multiuser OFDM Systems
- 88 Downloads
This paper considers the joint estimation of the carrier frequency offset (CFO) and sampling frequency offset (SFO) in the uplink of multiuser orthogonal frequency division multiplexing systems, where the received signal at the base station is a mixture of all users’ signals and each user is affected by different frequency offsets. Usually, users’ separation is needed to cope with this challenging multi-parameter estimation problem. Conventional methods adopt the zero-forcing criterion, which will lead to noise enhancement. To overcome this problem, a novel joint CFO and SFO estimation algorithm is proposed. We use the QR decomposition to achieve users’ separation, and the successive interference cancellation technique is employed to estimate the frequency offsets of different users. To further improve the estimation accuracy, the minimum variance unbiased estimator is exploited. Numerical results show that the proposed algorithm offers better performance than existing methods in terms of mean squared error and bit error rate .
KeywordsOFDM Multiuser Carrier frequency offset Sampling frequency offset
The authors would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their thorough review and constructive comments that significantly improve the quality of this paper. This work was supported in part by the NSF of China (Grant No. 61501124), and in part by Shanghai Sailing Program (Grant No. 17YF1418600).
- 4.Haring, L., Czylwik, A., & Speth, M. (2004). Analysis of synchronization impairments in multiuser OFDM systems. In Proceedings of 9th international OFDM-workshop (pp. 91–95).Google Scholar
- 6.Png, K. B., Peng, X., Chattong, S., et al. (2008). Joint carrier and sampling frequency offset estimation for MB-OFDM UWB system. In IEEE radio and wireless symposium (pp. 29–32).Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, C., Chen, Y., Ding, N., et al. (2013). Fine residual carrier frequency and sampling frequency estimation in wireless OFDM systems. In IEEE 56th international midwest symposium on circuits and systems (MWSCAS) (pp. 1124–1127).Google Scholar
- 15.Wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications: High-speed physical layer in the 5GHz band. IEEE Std. 802.11a, 1999.Google Scholar
- 18.Wolniansky, P. W., Foschini, G. J., Golden, G. D., & Valenzuela, R. (1998). V-BLAST: An architecture for realizing very high data rates over the rich-scattering wireless channel. In International symposium on signals, systems, and electronics (pp. 295–300).Google Scholar
- 21.Wubben, D., Bohnke, R., Kuhn, V., & Kammeyer, K. D. (2003). MMSE extension of V-BLAST based on sorted QR decomposition. In IEEE vehicular technology conference (VTC) (pp. 508–512).Google Scholar