Trajectory optimization and resource allocation for UAV-assisted relaying communications
- 7 Downloads
In this paper, we study the unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) assisted relaying communication system, where a UAV acts the mobile relay and provides the information transfer from the source to the destination. The simultaneous wireless information and power transfer techniques are considered at the UAV relays, where the UAV harvests energy from the source node, and exclusively uses the harvested energy for the data relaying. To maximize the system throughput, we jointly consider the UAV trajectory optimization and resource allocation problem, where the UAV trajectory is optimized the UAV positions to harvest the benefits of the line-of-sight links, and resource allocation, including power allocation and the subcarrier allocation, is used to achieve optimal network performance with the power constraints. An alternating maximization algorithm is proposed to solve the optimization problem, in which the UAV trajectory optimization and resource allocation are solved iteratively to maximize the total throughput. Compared with other benchmarks, the proposed algorithm can achieve higher throughput by the benefits from UAV trajectory optimization and resource allocation.
KeywordsUnmanned aerial vehicles Mobile relays Trajectory optimization Power allocation SWIPT
The work of B. Liu, Q. Zhu, and H. Zhu was supported in part by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61871446, 61971239, 61701201, 61427801), and in part by the Postgraduate Research & Practice Innovation Program of Jiangsu Province under Grants (KYCX18_0893). The work of B. Liu was also supported in part by the Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province (No. BK20170758) and in part by the China Scholarship Council.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 9.Chen, J., & Gesbert, D. (2017). Optimal positioning of flying relays for wireless networks: A LOS map approach. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) (pp. 1–6). Paris, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 16.Alsharoa, A., Ghazzai, H., Yuksel, M., Kadri, A., & Kamal, A. E. (2018). Trajectory optimization for multiple UAVs acting as wireless relays. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops (ICC Workshops) (pp. 1–6). Kansas City, USAGoogle Scholar
- 20.Jeong, S., Bito, J., & Tentzeris, M. M. (2017). Design of a novel wireless power system using machine learning techniques for drone applications. In Wireless Power Transfer Conference (WPTC) (pp. 1–4). Kansas City, USAGoogle Scholar
- 21.Yin, S., Zhao, Y., & Li, L. (2018). UAV-assisted cooperative communications with time-sharing SWIPT. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) (pp. 1–6). Kansas City, USAGoogle Scholar
- 24.Xiong, K., Fan, P., Zhang, C., & Letaief, K. B. (2015). Wireless information and energy transfer for two-hop non-regenerative MIMO-OFDM relay networks. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 33(8), 1595–1611.Google Scholar
- 29.Xie, Z., Zhu, Q., & Zhao, S. (2017). Resource allocation algorithm based on simultaneous wireless information and power transfer for OFDM relay networks. KSII Transactions on Internet & Information Systems, 11(12), 5943–5962.Google Scholar
- 30.Liu, B., Zhu, Q., Tan, W., & Zhu, H. (2018). Congestion-optimal WiFi offloading with user mobility management in smart communications. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, 2018, 1–15.Google Scholar