Implementing IoT/WSN based smart Saskatchewan Healthcare System
The Internet of Things (IoT) technology has recently experienced popularity and growth in every facet of life, and it has been applied to every industry in recent years. The healthcare system has not been left out of the equation, where various services are considered toward improved healthcare and patient delivery. It is important to emphasize that related literature on the applications of IoT in healthcare explored various services on an individual basis without considering the consolidated services as we have introduced. Here, the consolidation of those services proffers improved healthcare delivery, which impacts and collaborates in an IoT-based healthcare environment. In this paper, we have utilized the newly formed Saskatchewan Health Authority comprising of various healthcare regions as our case study. In essence, we have proposed a Smart Saskatchewan Healthcare System based on IoT technology in the context of four services, namely: business analytics and cloud services, cancer care services, emergency services, and operational services. Further, the paper highlights the design implementation of a smart healthcare system for the province of Saskatchewan for enhanced electronic medical record initiative and also to augment and support the existing healthcare delivery options to ensure the quality of life of patients by integrating IoT technology and other pertinent technologies in the contexts of those services. It also features IoT-based network mapping, designs, methodologies, frameworks, architectures, platforms, and applications for the IoT based solution for all connected things (network resources and sites) towards efficient healthcare delivery. We have combined all these services to foster faster and more efficient healthcare delivery. We have also alluded that the stream of patient health data generated by the IoT smart/connected devices will be helpful in decision making and gaining insights. The operational challenges and security concerns pertinent to the design of the smart healthcare system are discussed. Lastly, from the design network solutions, it is evident to admit that the solution arguments and delivers improved healthcare delivery using IoT/WSN technologies.
KeywordsBusiness analytics Cancer care services Emergency services Operational services IoT Healthcare system
- 5.Gupta, P., Pol, S., Rahatekar, D., & Patil, A. (2016). Smart ambulance system. International Journal of Computer Applications, 6, 23–26.Google Scholar
- 6.Gurijala, A., & Das, P. (2006). Broadcast server architecture for wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the international conference on wireless networks (ICWN), Las Vegas, USA (pp. 26–29).Google Scholar
- 7.Hanes, D., Salgueiro, G., Grossetete, P., Barton, R., & Henry, J. (2017). IoT fundamentals: Networking technologies, protocols, and use cases for the internet of things. Indianapolis, USA: Cisco Press.Google Scholar
- 8.Hassanalieragh, M., Page, A., Soyata, T., Sharma, G., Aktas, M., Mateos, G., Kantarci, B., & Andreescu, S. (2015). Health monitoring and management using Internet-of-Things (IoT) sensing with cloud-based processing: Opportunities and challenges. In IEEE international conference on services computing.Google Scholar
- 9.Jayanth, S., Poorvi, M. B., & Sunil, M. P. (2017). Inventory Management System Using IoT. In The proceedings of the first international conference on computational intelligence and informatics (pp. 201–210).Google Scholar
- 11.Kulkarni, A., Sathe, S., Kulkar, A., et al. (2014). Healthcare applications of the Internet of Things: A review. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies (IJCSIT), 5(5), 6229–6232.Google Scholar
- 12.Lakkis, S., & Elshakankiri, M. (2017). IoT based emergency and operational services in medical care systems. In 13th CTTE/CMI conference on internet of things—Business models, users, & Networks, Denmark.Google Scholar
- 13.Lee, C. K. M., Cheng, M., & Ng, C. K. (2015). IoT-based asset management system for healthcare-related industries. International Journal of Engineering Business Management, 7, 19.Google Scholar
- 14.Lewis, W. (2009). LAN switching and wireless. CCNA exploration companion guide. Indianapolis, IN: Cisco Press.Google Scholar
- 15.Onasanya, A., & Elshakankiri, M. (2017). IoT implementation for cancer care and business analytics/cloud services. In: Proceedings of the 10th IEEE/ACM international conference on utility and cloud computing (UCC 2017) (pp. 205–206).Google Scholar
- 16.Onasanya, A., & Elshakankiri, M. (2018). Secured Cancer Care and Cloud Services in IoT/WSN Based Medical Systems. In: Proceeddings of the SGIoT 2018—2nd EAI international conference on smart grid and internet of things (SgIoT).Google Scholar
- 17.Onasanya, A., & Elshakankiri, M. Smart integrated IoT healthcare system for cancer care. Special issue on “Internet of Things for Smart Living” of the Wireless Networks Journal, Springer (WINET), 2018—in production.Google Scholar
- 22.Stewart, K., Adams, A., Reid, A., & Lorenz, J. (2008). Designing and supporting computer networks. CCNA discovery learning guide. Indiana, USA: Cisco Press.Google Scholar
- 25.Health Care System—Health Canada. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/ehealth-esante/index-eng.php. Retrieved on February 25, 2018.
- 26.Internet of Things in Healthcare: What are the Possibilities and Challenges. https://readwrite.com/2018/01/13/internet-things-healthcare-possibilities-challenges/. Retrieved on March 25, 2018.
- 27.IoT project for home cancer care. http://wireless.electronicspecifier.com/around-the-industry/internet-of-things-project-for-home-cancer-care. Retrieved on February 25, 2018.
- 28.How the IoT is enabling the next generation of medical devices. https://www.medicaldesignbriefs.com/component/content/article/mdb/features/25545. Retrieved on March 30, 2018.
- 29.Saskatchewan Ministry of Health. https://www.saskatchewan.ca/govern-ment/government-structure/ministries/health. Retrieved on February 25, 2018.
- 30.State of IoT Healthcare by Aruba, an HP Enterprise company. http://www.arubanetworks.com/iot. Retrieved on February 25, 2018.
- 31.Map of the Province of Saskatchewan. https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/health/understanding-the-health-care-system/saskatchewan-health-regions/health-region-contact-information-and-websites. Retrieved on February 25, 2018.
- 32.A wireless sensor networks bibliography. Autonomous networks research group. http://ceng.usc.edu/~anrg/SensorNetBib.html#0103. Retrieved on February 25, 2018.