Data ferries based compressive data gathering for wireless sensor networks
- 70 Downloads
The latest research progress of the theory of compressive sensing (CS) over graphs makes it possible that the advantage of CS can be utilized by data ferries to gather data for wireless sensor networks. In this paper, we leverage the non-uniform distribution of the sensing data field to significantly reduce the required number of data ferries, yet ensuring the recovered data quality. Specially, we propose an intelligent compressive data gathering scheme consisting of an efficient stopping criterion and a novel learning strategy. The proposed stopping criterion is based only on the gathered data, without relying on the priori knowledge on the sparsity of unknown sensing data. Our learning strategy minimizes the number of data ferries while guaranteeing the data quality by learning the statistical distribution of the gathered data. Simulation results show that the proposed scheme improves the reconstruction accuracy and stability compared to the existing ones.
KeywordsData ferry Sensor network Compressive sensing Data gathering
Funding was provided by CERNET Innovation Project (NGII20160323).
- 9.Xu, X., Ansari, R., Khorkhar, A., & Vasilakos, A. V. (2015). Hierarchical data aggregation using compressive sensing(HDACS). ACM Transaction on Sensor Networks, 11(3), Article 45.Google Scholar
- 10.Xu, X., Ansari, R., & Khorkhar, A. (2014). Adaptive hierarchical data aggregation using compressive sensing (A-HDACS) for non-smooth data field. In Proceedings of IEEE ICC.Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, J., Tang, S., Yin, B., & Li, X.-Y. (2012). Data gathering in wireless sensor networks through intelligent compressive sensing. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM.Google Scholar
- 13.Zheng, H., Xiao, S., Wang, X., & Tian, X. (2012). Energy and latency analysis for in-network computation with compressive sensing in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM.Google Scholar
- 14.Sartipi, M., & Fletcher, R. (2011). Energy-efficient data acquisition in wireless sensor networks using compressed sensing. In Proceedings of IEEE Data Compression Conference (DCC) (pp. 223–232).Google Scholar
- 15.Sugihara, R., & Gupta, R. K. (2010). Speed control and scheduling of data mules in sensor networks. ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 7(1), Article 4.Google Scholar
- 16.Sugihara, R., & Gupta, R. K. (2010). Path planning of data mules in sensor networks. ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 8(1), Article 1.Google Scholar
- 18.Chen, L., Wang, W., Huang, H., & Lin, S. (2015). Time-constrained data harvesting in WSNs: Theoretical foundation and algorithm design. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM.Google Scholar
- 21.Wang, M., Xu, W., Mallada, E., & Tang, A. (2012). Sparse recovery with graph constraints: Fundamental limits and measurement construction. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM (pp. 1871–1879).Google Scholar
- 22.Xu, W., Mallada, E., & Tang, A. (2011). Compressive sensing over graphs. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM (pp. 2087–2095).Google Scholar
- 23.Brabham, D. C. (2008). Crowdsourcing as a model for problem solving: An introduction and cases. Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, 14(1), 75C90.Google Scholar
- 24.Luo, C., Wu, F. Sun, J., & Chen, C. W. (2009). Compressive data gathering for large-scale wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of ACM MobiCom (pp. 145–156).Google Scholar
- 26.Luo, J., Xiang, L., & Rosenberg, C. (2010). Does compressed sensing improve the throughput of wireless sensor networks? In Proceedings of the IEEE ICC, no. 1–6. Cape Town, South Africa.Google Scholar
- 27.Xiang, L., Luo, J., & Vasilakos, A. (2011). Compressed data aggregation for energy efficient wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of IEEE SECON.Google Scholar
- 35.National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is National Data Buoy Center. http://tao.ndbc.noaa.gov/refreshed/ctd_delivery.php.