QDVGDD: Query-Driven Virtual Grid based Data Dissemination for wireless sensor networks using single mobile sink
- 150 Downloads
In wireless sensor networks, efficient resource management is a major concern for the battery operated sensor nodes. Data collection using mobile sink(s) is considered as a good strategy to prolong network lifetime and improve network coverage. Most of the existing mobile sink based data collection schemes operate in event driven or periodic sensing modes. There are several application environments, which dictate query driven data collection using a mobile sink e.g., a mobile sink might require reinforced data reporting from one particular network segment compared to others. In this regard, the existing query driven data collection schemes either impose too many constraints on network operation or poorly perform when delivering the requested data to a mobile sink with variable speed. In this paper we propose Query-Driven Virtual Grid based Data Dissemination (QDVGDD) scheme that aims to improve data delivery performance to a mobile sink. The proposed scheme makes use of a virtual infrastructure thereby causing minimal network control overheads while delivering the requested data with high quality of service to the mobile sink. We carried out extensive simulation works in NS-2.35 to evaluate the performance of our QDVGDD at different sink’s speeds and network sizes. Simulation results reveal improved performance of QDVGDD in terms of data delivery latency, data delivery ratio, average energy consumption, and estimated network traffic as compared to other state-of-the-art.
KeywordsQuery-driven Data dissemination Mobile sink Wireless sensor network
This paper was funded by the Deanship of Scientific Research (DSR), King Abdulaziz University. The authors, therefore, acknowledge with thanks to DSR’s technical and financial support.
- 17.Oliveira, H. A. B. F., Barreto, R. S., Fontao, A. L., Loureiro, A. A. F., & Nakamura, E. F. (2010). A novel greedy forward algorithm for routing data toward a high speed sink in wireless sensor networks. In 2010 proceedings of 19th international conference on computer communications and networks (pp. 1–7).Google Scholar
- 21.Tang, B., Wang, J., Geng, X., Zheng, Y., & Kim, J. (2012). A novel data retrieving mechanism in wireless sensor networks with path-limited mobile sink. International Journal of Grid and Distributed Computing, 5(3), 133–140.Google Scholar
- 22.Hamida, E. B. & Chelius, G. (2008). A line-based data dissemination protocol for wireless sensor networks with mobile sink. In 2008 IEEE international conference on communications (pp. 2201–2205).Google Scholar
- 23.Manjeshwar, A., & Agrawal, D. P. (2001). TEEN: A routing protocol for enhanced efficiency in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings 15th international parallel and distributed processing symposium. IPDPS 2001, (Vol. 1, pp. 2009–2015).Google Scholar
- 24.Manjeshwar A., & Agrawal, D. P. (2002). APTEEN: A hybrid protocol for efficient routing and comprehensive information retrieval in wireless sensor networks. In Proc. 16th Int. Parallel Distrib. Process. Symp. Google Scholar
- 26.Heinzelman, W. R., Chandrakasan, A., & Balakrishnan, H. (2000) Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. In Proceedings of the 33rd annual hawaii international conference on system sciences (Vol. 1, No. c, pp. 1–10).Google Scholar