Assessment of Pyrethroid Pesticides in Topsoils in Northern Portugal
- 9 Downloads
Pyrethroid insecticides are emerging contaminants broadly used for insect pest control in agriculture, veterinary, and domestic applications. Limited information can be found in literature regarding pyrethroid pesticide soil contamination in playgrounds and agricultural areas. The focus of this study was on new findings related to the spatial and seasonal occurrence of pyrethroid pesticide contamination in soils of northern Portugal. The soils were tested during summer and winter seasons. Pyrethroid pesticides were not found in the ten playgrounds sampled during both seasons. For the 18 agricultural soil samples tested, deltamethrin was the only pyrethroid detected, just during the summer season. For those, three of the samples taken were found to be positive with concentrations between 15.7 and 101.7 ng g−1. The results denote the need for monitoring and assessment of pyrethroid pesticide contamination in Portuguese soil. Further research is needed to access the ecological potential impact of pyrethroid pesticides on soil.
KeywordsSoils Pyrethroids Deltamethrin Agriculture Playground
I. Bragança is grateful to FCT for the doctoral research grant financed by fellowship (SFRH/BD/52504/2014). Paulo C. Lemos acknowledges the support by FCT/MCES for contract IF/01054/2014. The authors are greatly indebted to all financing sources.
This work was supported by the Associate Laboratory for Green Chemistry - LAQV which is financed by the national funds from FCT/MCTES (UID/QUI/50006/2013) and co-financed by the ERDF under the PT2020 Partnership Agreement (POCI-01-0145-FEDER - 007265).
- Albaseer, S. S., Rao, R. N., Swamy, Y. V., & Mukkanti, K. (2011). Analytical artifacts, sample handling and preservation methods of environmental samples of synthetic pyrethroids. Trac-Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 30(11), 1771–1780. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trac.2011.05.010.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bragança, I., Plácido, A., Paíga, P., Domingues, V. F., & Delerue-Matos, C. (2012). QuEChERS: a new sample preparation approach for the determination of ibuprofen and its metabolites in soils. [article]. Science of the Total Environment, 433, 281–289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.06.035.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Correia-Sá, L., Fernandes, V. C., Carvalho, M., Calhau, C., Domingues, V. F., & Delerue-Matos, C. (2012). Optimization of QuEChERS method for the analysis of organochlorine pesticides in soils with diverse organic matter. Journal of Separation Science, 35(12), 1521–1530. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201200087.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- DGAV (n.d.). Serviço Nacional Avisos Agrícolas. http://snaa.dgav.pt/. Accessed 13 Aug 2018.
- Domingues, V. F., Nasuti, C., Piangerelli, M., Correia-Sa, L., Ghezzo, A., Marini, M., et al. (2016). Pyrethroid pesticide metabolite in urine and microelements in hair of children affected by autism spectrum disorders: a preliminary investigation. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13(4), 388.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dubey, J. K., Patyal, S. K., & Sharma, A. (2018). Validation of QuEChERS analytical technique for organochlorines and synthetic pyrethroids in fruits and vegetables using GC-ECD. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 190(4). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-018-6584-8.
- EN15662 (2008). Foods of plant origin—determination of pesticide residues using GC-MS and/or LC-MS/MS following acetonitrile extraction/partitioning and clean-up by dispersive SPE—QuEChERS. (Vol. EN 15662).Google Scholar
- European Union (2010). Guidance document on pesticide residue analytical methods. European Commision, Directorate General Health and ConsumerProtection.Google Scholar
- European Committee for Standardization (2018). EN 15662 - Foods of plant origin - Multimethod for the determination of pesticide residues using GC- and LC-based analysis following acetonitrile extraction/partitioning and clean-up by dispersive SPE - Modular QuEChERS-method.Google Scholar
- EU (2013). Guidance document on analytical quality control and validation procedures for pesticide residues analysis in food and feed. (Vol. SANCO/12571/2013): European commission, Health & consumer protection directorate-general.Google Scholar
- Fernandez-Alvarez, M., Llompart, M., Lamas, J. P., Lores, M., Garcia-Jares, C., Cela, R., et al. (2008). Simultaneous determination of traces of pyrethroids, organochlorines and other main plant protection agents in agricultural soils by headspace solid-phase microextraction-gas chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A, 1188(2), 154–163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2008.02.080.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fuhrmann, A., Gans, O., Weiss, S., Haberhauer, G., & Gerzabek, M. H. (2014). Determination of bentazone, chloridazon and terbuthylazine and some of their metabolites in complex environmental matrices by liquid chromatography–electrospray ionization–tandem mass spectrometry using a modified QuEChERS method: an optimization and validation study. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, 225(5), 1944. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-014-1944-7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hesse, P. R. (Ed.). (1972). A textbook of soil chemical analysis. New York: Chemical Publishing Co., Inc..Google Scholar
- Hołyńska-Iwan, I., Bogusiewicz, J., Chajdas, D., Szewczyk-Golec, K., Lampka, M., & Olszewska-Słonina, D. (2018). The immediate influence of deltamethrin on ion transport through rabbit skin. An in vitro study. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, 148, 144–150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pestbp.2018.04.011.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jabeen, F., Chaudhry, A. S., Manzoor, S., & Shaheen, T. (2015). Examining pyrethroids, carbamates and neonicotenoids in fish, water and sediments from the Indus River for potential health risks. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 187(2), 29. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-015-4273-4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ke, C. L., Gu, Y. G., & Liu, Q. (2017). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in exposed-lawn soils from 28 urban parks in the megacity Guangzhou: occurrence, sources, and human health implications. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 72(4), 496–504. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00244-017-0397-6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nasuti, C., Gabbianelli, R., Falcioni, M. L., Di Stefano, A., Sozio, P., & Cantalamessa, F. (2007). Dopaminergic system modulation, behavioral changes, and oxidative stress after neonatal administration of pyrethroids. Toxicology, 229(3), 194–205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2006.10.015.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nasuti, C., Carloni, M., Fedeli, D., Gabbianelli, R., Di Stefano, A., Laura Serafina, C., et al. (2013). Effects of early life permethrin exposure on spatial working memory and on monoamine levels in different brain areas of pre-senescent rats. Toxicology, 303(0), 162–168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2012.09.016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nelson, D. W. a. L. E. S. (1996). Total carbon, organic carbon, and organic matter. In A. L. Page (Ed.), Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2, 2 nd ed. (Agronomy 9 ed.) (pp. 961–1010). Madison: Am. Soc. of Agron., Inc..Google Scholar
- Palmquist, K., Salatas, J., & Fairbrother, A. (2012). Pyrethroid insecticides: use, environmental fate, and ecotoxicology. In D. F. Perveen (Ed.), Insecticides – Advances in integrated Pest management. INTECH Open Access Publisher. http://www.intechopen.com/books/insecticides-advances-in-integrated-pest-management/pyrethroidinsecticides-use-environmental-fate-and-ecotoxicology. Accessed December 2008.
- Pastor-Belda, M., Navarro-Jimenez, T., Garrido, I., Vinas, P., Campillo, N., Fenoll, J., et al. (2018). Magnetic solid-phase extraction or dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction for pyrethroid determination in environmental samples. Journal of Separation Science, 41(12), 2565–2575. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201800109.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pfeil, R. (2014). Pesticide Residues: Pyrethroids, in Encyclopedia of Food Safety, Yasmine Motarjemi, (Ed.). ISBN: 9780123786135, Waltham: Academic Press: 31-34.Google Scholar
- Wang, W., Delgado-Moreno, L., Conkle, J. L., Anderson, M., Amrhein, C., Ye, Q. F., et al. (2012). Characterization of sediment contamination patterns by hydrophobic pesticides to preserve ecosystem functions of drainage lakes. Journal of Soils and Sediments, 12(9), 1407–1418. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11368-012-0560-7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Weston, D. P., Ding, Y., Zhang, M., & Lydy, M. J. (2013). Identifying the cause of sediment toxicity in agricultural sediments: the role of pyrethroids and nine seldom-measured hydrophobic pesticides. Chemosphere, 90(3), 958–964. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2012.06.039.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang, W., Jiang, F., & Ou, J. (2011). Global pesticide consumption and pollution: with China as a focus. Proceedings of the International Academy of Ecology and Environmental Sciences, 1(2), 125–144.Google Scholar