Optimization on the VFDs’ Operation for Pump Units
- 32 Downloads
The third Huaiyin pumping station in the South-to-North Water Diversion Project aims to solve the problem of lack of water. In order to save on electricity while satisfying the required flow demand, the operation optimization problem of the third Huaiyin pumping station is investigated, with a mathematical model set up to simulate the optimal daily operation, in which the pump units can have variable speed. After analyzing the characteristics of the mathematical model, an improved dynamic programming algorithm is presented to decrease the dimensions of the operation optimization problem and save electricity cost, which enables us to perform a practical engineering application. After discretization of the optimization problem has been achieved, the number of operational schedule sequences could be reduced and optimal scheduling could be achieved to save electricity costs by power constraint, classified enumeration constraint, feasible combination constraint and flow demand constraint. Through research and analysis of the working of the third Huaiyin pumping station, optimal operational scheduling of multiple pump units with variable speed operation using variable frequency drive (VFD) can lessen the electricity tariff significantly compared with dynamic programming with the successive approximation method and decomposition/aggregation-dynamic programming method. The operational electricity tariff is reduced by 7.71% by the improved dynamic programming algorithm in comparison with the benchmark scheduling. Simulation results demonstrate that the cost efficiency comes from variable speed operation with VFD and flow demand transfer from the time periods when a high electricity tariff applies to time periods of a low electricity tariff based on the time-of-use electricity tariff.
KeywordsOptimization operation Improved dynamic programming Variable speed drive Pumping station
The project was financially supported by the International Science & Technology Cooperation Program of China (Grant No. 2015DFG72440).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interests
- Cheng JL, Zhang LH, Zhang RT, Gong Y, Zhu HG, Deng DS (2010) Optimal methodology of single-unit variable speed operation in pumping station. Trans Chin Soc Agri Mach 41(3):72–76Google Scholar
- Gong Y (2011) Study on some related optimal methods for operation of pumping stations in eastern route of south-to-north water diversion project. PhD thesis Yangzhou University, Yangzhou, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- Gong Y, Cheng JL, Zhang RT, Zhang LH (2011) Optimization on variable speed operation with VFD for No. 3 Huaiyin Pumping Station based on Decomposition-dynamic Programming Aggregation Method. Trans Chin Soc of Agri Eng 27(3):79–83Google Scholar
- Nace D, Demotier S, Carlier J, Daguinos T, Kora R (2001) Using linear programming methods for optimizing the real-time pump scheduling. World Water and Environmental Resources Congress 1-8 May Orlando, United StatesGoogle Scholar
- Shaaban H, Grujić L (1986) The decomposition-aggregation method applied to a multimachine power system. Large Scale Syst Info Decis Technol 10(2):115–132Google Scholar
- Wegley C, Eusuff M, Lansey K (2000) Determining pump operations using particle swarm optimization. Joint Conference on Water Resource Engineering and Water Resources Planning and Management 1-6 Sep, Minneapolis, United StatesGoogle Scholar