Complete genomic sequence of bacteriophage P23: a novel Vibrio phage isolated from the Yellow Sea, China
- 3 Downloads
A novel Vibrio phage, P23, belonging to the family Siphoviridae was isolated from the surface water of the Yellow Sea, China. The complete genome of this phage was determined. A one-step growth curve showed that the latent period was approximately 30 min, the burst size was 24 PFU/cell, and the rise period was 20 min. The phage is host specific and is stable over a range of pH (5–10) and temperatures (4–65 °C). Transmission electron microscopy showed that phage P23 can be categorized into the Siphoviridae family, with an icosahedral head of 60 nm and a long noncontractile tail of 144 nm. The genome consisted of a linear, double-stranded 40.063 kb DNA molecule with 42.5% G+C content and 72 putative open reading frames (ORFs) without tRNA. The predicted ORFs were classified into six functional groups, including DNA replication, regulation and nucleotide metabolism, transcription, phage packaging, phage structure, lysis, and hypothetical proteins. The Vibrio phage P23 genome is a new marine Siphoviridae-family phage genome that provides basic information for further molecular research on interaction mechanisms between bacteriophages and their hosts.
KeywordsBacteriophage Vibrio Siphoviridae Complete genome
The research was funded by the Marine Scientific and Technological Innovation Project Financially supported by the Pilot National Laboratory for Marine Science and Technology (Qingdao) (2018SDKJ0104-4, 2018SDKJ0406-6, and 2016ASKJ14), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (41676178, 31500339, and 41076088), the National Key Research and Development Program of China (2017YFA0603200 and 2018YFC1406704), the State Oceanic Administration People’s republic of China (GASI-02-PAC-ST-MSwin, GASI-02-PAC-ST-MSaut), and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central University of Ocean University of China (201812002, 201762017, and 201562018).
Hongbing Shao, Yong Jiang, Tong Jiang, Meiwen Wang, Yuye Han, and Min Wang conceived and designed the experiments and critically evaluated the manuscript. Xinran Zhang and Qi Wang conducted the sequencing experiments. Lei Zhao isolated and identified the phage and conducted the biological characterization experiments. Andrew McMinn helped to edit the language of manuscript. Yundan Liu was responsible for the data and sequence analyses and wrote the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interests.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 2.Almasi A (2005) An investigation on pathogenic Vibrios distribution in domestic wastewater. Iran J Environ Health Sci Eng 2(3):153–157Google Scholar
- 8.Ghai R, Martin-Cuadrado AB, Motto AG, Heredia IG, Cabrera R, Martin J, Verdú M, Deschamps P, Moreira D, López-García P, Mira A, Rodriguez-Valera F (2010) Metagenome of the Mediterranean deep chlorophyll maximum studied by direct and fosmid library 454 pyrosequencing. ISME J 4:1154–1166. https://doi.org/10.1038/ismej.2010.44 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Rusch DB, Halpern AL, Sutton G, Heidelberg KB, Williamson S, Yooseph S, Wu D, Eisen JA, Hoffman JM, Remington K, Beeson K, Tran B, Smith H, Baden-Tillson H, Stewart C, Thorpe J, Freeman J, Andrews-Pfannkoch C, Venter JE, Li K, Kravitz S, Heidelberg JF, Utterback T, Rogers YH, Falcon LI, Souza V, Bonilla-Rosso G, Eguiarte LE, Karl DM, Sathyendranath S, Platt T, Bermingham E, Gallardo V, Tamayo-Castillo G, Ferrari MR, Strausberg RL, Nealson K, Friedman R, Frazier M, Venter JC (2007) The sorcerer II Global Ocean sampling expedition: northwest Atlantic through eastern tropical Pacific. PLoS Biol 5:e77. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.0050077 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Xu YQ, Ma YY, Yao S, Jiang ZY, Pei JS, Cheng C (2016) Characterization, genome sequence, and analysis of Escherichia phage CICC 80001, a bacteriophage infecting an efficient l-aspartic acid producing Escherichia coli. Food Environ Virol 8:18–26. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12560-015-9218-0 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Gao Y, Liu Q, Wang M, Zhao GH, Jiang Y, Malin G, Gong Z, Meng X, Liu ZY, Lin TT, Li YT, Shao HB (2017) Characterization and genome sequence of marine Alteromonas gracilis phage PB15 isolated from the Yellow Sea, China. Curr Microbiol 74:821–826. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-017-1251-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Black LW (1989) DNA Packaging in dsDNA bacteriophages. Annu Rev Microbiol 43:267–292. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.mi.43.100189.001411 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Li E, Xiao W, Ma Y, Zhe Y, Li H, Lin W, Wang X, Li C, Shen Z, Zhao R, Yang H, Jiang A, Yang W, Yuan J, Zhao X (2016) Isolation and characterization of a bacteriophage phiEap-2 infecting multidrug resistant enterobacter aerogenes. Sci Rep 6:28338. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep28338 CrossRefGoogle Scholar