Potential of coconut water to enhance fresh semen quality and fertility in rabbits
- 14 Downloads
Coconut water as a natural diluent was evaluated on rabbit semen quality, conception and litter size in artificially inseminated does. A total of 10 bucks and 90 does, all crossbred New Zealand White × chinchilla, were used for the trial. Pooled semen was obtained from bucks using artificial vagina. Semen diluents were prepared at 0%, 20%, 40%, 60% and 80% and control 50% normal saline and designated as T1, T2, T3, T4, T5 and T6 respectively, in a completely randomised design. Semen analysis was conducted on fresh semen and the various diluted semen immediately at 37 °C. Fifteen does each were randomly allotted to the different treatment and were inseminated with their respective treatment diluted semen using the standard procedure, and conception rate, litter size and productivity index at birth were assessed at kindling. Result obtained revealed that spermatozoa motility and structural membrane integrity of the diluted semen were significantly (p < 0.05) affected by the percentage of dilution. The range of values obtained for spermatozoa motility, structural membrane integrity and acrosome integrity is within the accepted values for good-quality semen. Conception rate, litter size and productivity index at birth were highest in does inseminate with T4 (60%), and the least values were obtained in T5 (80%). In conclusion, coconut water is a suitable diluent for rabbit semen for on-farm artificial insemination, the optimal dilution rate of coconut water in rabbit semen is 60%, which guarantees high conception, litter size and productivity index at birth.
KeywordsCoconut water Diluent Fertility Insemination Spermatozoa motility
List of abbreviations
reactive oxygen species
polyunsaturated fatty acids
The author appreciates the Teaching and Research Farm, Department of Agricultural Technology, Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti, Nigeria, for making available animals for the research. And grateful to Ahmed Bilikisu, Johnson Victoria, Omolagba Olaolu, Abidakun Opeyemi and Ajiboye Ebenezer for the care and handling of the animals, and their resourcefulness to the study.
Jimoh Olatunji Abubakar designed the study, supervised the fieldwork, carried out the experimental protocol and statistical analysis. The sole author wrote the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
The author declares that he has no conflict of interest.
Ethical approval and consent to participate
The study was approved by the institutional committee on the care and use of animals for the experiment and in accordance with the NIH guide for the care and use of laboratory animals.
- Araujo, A.G., Brandao, F.Z., Guedes, M.C.A., Pinaffi, F.L.V., Silva, L.A., Torres Filho, R.A., Ferreira, A.M.R., 2013 Uterine blood flow evaluation after artificial insemination on different uterine sites in mares. Anim. Reprod., 10: 615.Google Scholar
- Balogun, A.S. and Jimoh, O.A. 2017 Efficacy of egg-yolk citrate extender fortified with aqueous garlic extract on rooster semen for artificial insemination. Nigerian Journal of Animal Science 19:1, 62–70.Google Scholar
- Balogun Adedeji Suleimon, Jimoh Olatunji Abubakar, Mustapha Abdul-Rahman, Mohammed Abdulrahman, Akinosun Akin Akinbobola and Ojo, J.A. 2016 Assessment of different garlic extracts on fertilizing potentials of extended rooster semen used for artificial insemination. Nigeria Poultry Science Journal Vol 12 pp 84–91.Google Scholar
- Balogun A.S., O. A. Jimoh, Olayiwola T.A. and Abubakar Z.Y 2017. Semen quality and fertilizing ability of roosters semen diluted with quail egg-yolk supplemented with polar and non-polar dried garlic extracts. Journal of Advances in Biology and Biotechnology 13:2 Pp 1–12, DOI: https://doi.org/10.9734/JABB/2017/32395.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bathgate, R., Maxwell W.M.C. and Evans G. 2006. Studies on the effect of supplementing boar semen cryopreservation media with different avian egg yolk types on in vitro post-thaw sperm quality. Reprod. Domest. Ani. 41: 68–73, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.2006.00623.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Carluccio A., Robbe D., De Amicis I., Contri A., Tosi U., Russo F., Paoletti M. 2004 Artificial insemination in rabbits: laboratory and field trial with three different semen extenders. World Rabbit Sci., 12: 65–79.Google Scholar
- Castellini, C., F. Pizzi, M. Theau-Clement and P. Lattaioli. 2006 Effect of +different number of spermatozoa inseminated on the reproductive performance of rabbit does. Theriogenology, 66: 2182–2187, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2006.06.010.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cortell, C. and M.P.V. de Castro 2008 Effect of gelatin addition to freezing extender on rabbit semen parameters and reproductive performance. Proceedings of the 9t World Rabbit Congress, June 10–13, 2008, Verona, Italy, pp:327–332.Google Scholar
- Daader, A. H., Gabr, H. A. and Seleem, T. S. 1999 Productive and reproductive performance of New Zealand White and Californian rabbit Bucks as affected by supplementing vitamin A to the diet during summer and winter seasons. Proceeding of 7th Conference on Animal Nutrition Ruminants, Poultry and Fishes, El – Arish, North – Sinai, Egypt, 55–564Google Scholar
- Daramola JO, Adekunle EO, Iyasere OS, Oke OE, Sorongbe TA, Iyanda OA, 2016 Effects of coconut milk alone or supplementation with pyridoxine in tris-extenders on the viability of buck spermatozoa during vitrification. Small Ruminant Res; 136: 208–213, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2016.02.004.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Desai, N.R. Mahfouz, R. Sharma, R. Gupta, S. and Agarwal, A. 2010 Reactive oxygen species levels are independent of sperm concentration, motility, and abstinence in a normal, healthy, proven fertile man: a longitudinal study. Fertility and Sterility, 94: 4, 1541–1543, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2009.12.041.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- El-Kelawy H.M., Tawfeek M. I., El-Gaafary M. N., Ibrahim H. 2012 Viability and fertilizing ability of extended rabbit semen stored at 5°c. World Rabbit Science Association Proceedings10th World Rabbit Congress – September 3–6, 2012– Sharm El- Sheikh –Egypt, 285–289.Google Scholar
- El-Nattat WS, El-Sisy GA, El-Sheshtawy RI. 2009 Cryopreservation of buffalo semen using coconut water extender with egg yolk and different glycerol concentrations. Egypt J Basic Appl Physiol; 8: 139–146.Google Scholar
- Ewuola, E. O., Lawanson, A. A and Adeyemi, A. A 2014 An improvised artificial vagina for rabbit semen collection and the characteristics of the extended rabbit semen as panacea for artificial insemination Trop. Anim. Prod. Invest. 17 (1): 19–24Google Scholar
- Ewuola E. O. Omotosho G. A and A. A. Adeyemi 2017 Effects of Buserelin acetate and semen extension on fertility in rabbit does under artificial insemination. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 44(1):130–135.Google Scholar
- Jimoh O. A and Ewuola E.O. 2017 Milk yield and kit development of four breeds of rabbit in Ibadan, Nigeria. Journal of Animal Science and Technology 59(25) 1–7. DOI https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-017-0151-7
- Kiprianidis V., Facchin E. 1994. Monta naturale o inseminazione artificiale? Importanza del extender diluitore nella I.A.. Rivista di Coniglicoltura, 11, 41–43.Google Scholar
- Kondracki, S. 2003 Breed differences in semen characteristics of boars used in artificial insemination in Poland. Pig News and Information. 24(4): 119–122.Google Scholar
- Lahnsteiner, F., Berger B., Horvath A. and Urbanyi B. 2004. Studies on the semen biology and sperm cryopreservation in the starlet, (Acipenser ruthenus). Aquaculture Research, 35: 519–528, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.2004.01034.x .
- Lavara, R., Moce, E., Lavara, F., Mari’a, P. V. de Castro, Vicente, J.S., 2005: Results of onfarm inseminations in rabbits. Theriogenol.,64:1130–1141, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2005.01.009.
- Mircu, C., Cernescu, H., Violeta, I.G.N.A., Renate, K.N.O.P., Ilinca Frunză, V. Ardelean, G.H, Bonca, G., Otava, G. Zarcula, S., Korodi, G., Ardelean, A., 2008 Boar semen evaluation using casa and its relation to fertility. Lucrări Stiintifice Medicină eterinară, 41: 203–212.Google Scholar
- Moce, E., J.S. Vicente and R.Lavara, 2002 Effect of donor strain and maturation stage of rabbit oocytes on results of zonabinding test of rabbit semen. World Rabbit Sci., 10:53–62.Google Scholar
- Nunes JF, Sales FGM. 1993 El agua de coco (Cocus nucifera) in natura integraly adicionada con citoquinina, comodiluidor de semen caprino. Rev Ciencia Anim; 3:3 273–281.Google Scholar
- Popoola, M. A., Alemede, C. I., Aremu, A., Ola, S.I., Popoola, Y. R. and Yusuf, O. H. 2017 Spermatological Parameters of Extended Rabbit Semen in 5% Indigenous Poultry Egg Yolk Plasma-Biofortified Extender. Nig J. Biotech. Vol. 32 91–96. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4314/njb.v32i1.13.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rriad, R. M. T.S.T. Seleem, K.H. El-Kholy, Z.M. Rawash 2009 Effect Of Sperm Concentration And Site Of Insemination On Conception Rate Of Rabbits. Scientific Papers-Animal Science Series: Lucrări Ştiinţifice - Seria Zootehnie, vol. 65. 38–43.Google Scholar
- Sadeghi A. Imanpoor M. R. and Khalili M. 2013. Effect Different Concentrations of DMSO and Dilution Rates on Motility Parameters of Stellate (Acipenser stellatus) Spermatozoa. World Journal of Fish and Marine Sciences 5 (4): 421–425Google Scholar
- Taner, H. and Ergum, A. 2010 Fertilizing ability of short-term preserved spermatozoa. Abant trout (Salmo trutta abanticus T,1954) Ankara univ vet.fak.Derg 57,33-38.Google Scholar
- Uchoa DC, Pereira da Silva TF, Cardoso J de FS, Filho ACM, Jucá RP, Silva AR, 2012 Favoring the birth of female puppies after artificial insemination using chilled semen diluted with powdered coconut water (ACP-106c). Theriogenology; 77: 1959–1963, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2011.11.029.
- Vale WG, Silva AOA, Sousa JS, Ribeiro HFL, Souza HEM, Nahum BS, 1997 Preliminary report on the use of coconut water (Cocos nucifera) as a diluter of buffalo semen. Proceeding of the 5th World Buffalo Congress.Royal Palace, Caserta-Italy;, p. 836–839.Google Scholar
- Vale WG, Nahum BS, Silva AOA, Sousa JS, Souza HEM, Ohashi OM, 1999 Inseminação artificial em búfalos com sêmen congelado em diluentea base de água de coco (Cocos nucifera). Rev Bras Reprod Anim; 23: 354–356.Google Scholar