A case of acute pancreatitis-induced microangiopathic hemolytic anemia with thrombocytopenia
Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia (MAHA-T) is a rare complication of acute pancreatitis (AP). Treatment with therapeutic plasma exchange (TPE) is used at many centers. The natural history of this disease is not well understood. We report a case of acute pancreatitis induced MAHA-T with end organ dysfunction and a normal ADAMTS13 level. Following three TPEs, the patient’s clinical status, blood counts and hemolytic markers stabilized. Improvement occurred even after TPE was discontinued. The optimal management of AP-induced MAHA-T is poorly understood. Many centres are reporting good outcomes with the early initiation of TPE. MAHA-T associated with acute pancreatitis is often treated with early initiation of TPE. However, the value of TPE in altering the natural history of the condition is not well understood. Further study is required to understand the role of ADAMTS13 testing to guide treatment, and the role of TPE in management.
KeywordsAcute pancreatitis TTP MAHA Hemolytic anemia Therapeutic plasma exchange
A disintegrin and metalloproteinase with a thrombospondin type 1 motif, member 13
Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia
Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia
Therapeutic plasma exchange
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
No funding received.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 8.Gurjar M, Saigal S, Azim A et al (2012) Acute pancreatitis-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. JOP 13:80–82Google Scholar
- 9.Salib M, Lemay A-S, Buchholz M, Pavenski K (2016) Thrombocytopenia and microangiopathic hemolytic anemia precipitated by acute pancreatitis: a single center experience of five cases. Blood 128:1377Google Scholar
- 10.Arimoto M, Komiyama Y, Okamae F et al (2012) A case of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura induced by acute pancreatitis. Int J Gen Med 5:307–311Google Scholar
- 12.Bergmann IP, Kremer Hovinga JA, Lämmle B et al (2008) Acute pancreatitis and thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Eur J Med Res 13:481–482Google Scholar
- 16.Bendapudi PK, Li A, Hamdan A et al (2014) Derivation and prospective validation of a predictive score for the rapid diagnosis of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: the plasmic score. Blood 124(21):231Google Scholar
- 35.Pierrugues R, Berthelemy C, Blanc P, Janbon F (1990) SYNDROME HEMOLYTIQUE ET UREMIQUE DE L’ADULTE REVELE PAR UNE ASSOCIATION PANCREATITE AIGUE: COLITE ULCEREUSE. Gastroentérologie Clinique et Biologique 14(12):1030–1032Google Scholar
- 36.Aaron L, Bellaiche G, Coulon A et al (1997) Acute biliary pancreatitis complicated by hemolytic-uremic syndrome. Gastroenterol Clin Biol 21:1003–1004Google Scholar
- 37.Garcia-Cano J, Vazquez J, Garcia-Cabezas J (1992) Pancreatitis aguda en el seno de la púrpura trombocitopénica trombótica. A proposito de dos casos. Ann Med Intern 9:551–553Google Scholar