Inhibition by Hydrogen Peroxide in the Radical Chain Oxidation of Hydrocarbons by Molecular Oxygen
- 2 Downloads
Inhibition by hydrogen peroxide in the radical chain aerobic oxidation of alkylarenes is reported. A kinetic scheme for this process and an equation describing the oxidation kinetics of an alkylarene in the presence of HOOH are presented. The inhibitory effect of H2O2 was found to decrease with increasing rate constant of the chain termination step by peroxyl radicals of thesubstrate undergoing oxidation. The PM7 method was used to calculate the thermodynamic characteristics of the elementary reaction steps accounting for the observed results.
Key wordshydrogen peroxide inhibitor liquid-phase oxidation Howard–Ingold method hydroperoxyl radical PM7 method
- 1.C. W. Jones, Applications of Hydrogen Peroxide and Derivatives, Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge (1999).Google Scholar
- 3.R. L. Myers (ed.), The 100 Most Important Chemical Compounds: A Reference Guide, Greenwood Press, Westport (2007).Google Scholar
- 4.M. C. M. Vissers, M. Hampton, and A. J. Kettle (ed.), Hydrogen Peroxide Metabolism in Health and Disease, CRC Press, Boca Raton (2017).Google Scholar
- 5.E. T. Denisov, T. G. Denisova, and T. S. Pokidova, Handbook of Free Radical Initiators, John Wiley & Sons, New York (2005).Google Scholar
- 6.V. I. Gol’denberg, E. T. Denisov and N. A. Ermakova, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 39, No. 4, 738-743 (1990).Google Scholar
- 7.V. I. Gol’denberg, N. V. Katkova, and E. T. Denisov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 37, No. 2, 287-293 (1988).Google Scholar
- 10.R. V. Kucher, I. A. Opeida, N. P. Mytsyk, and A. N. Shendrik, Teor. Éksp. Khim., 10, No. 6, 812-816 (1974). [Theor. Exp. Chem., 10, No. 6, 668-671 (1974) (English translation).]Google Scholar
- 11.V. N. Dubina, A. N. Shendrik, I. O. Kachurin, and I. A. Opeida, Teor. Éksp. Khim., 26, No. 5, 606-610 (1990). [Theor. Exp. Chem., 26, No. 5, 570-575 (1990) (English translation).]Google Scholar
- 12.R. V. Kucher and I. A. Opeida, Cooxidation of Organic Compounds in the Liquid Phase [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1989).Google Scholar
- 18.K. Kasperczyk, B. Orlinska, and J. Zawadiak, Open Chem., 12, No. 11, 1176-1182 (2014).Google Scholar
- 25.The NIST Chemistry WebBook. https://webbook.nist.gov.
- 26.H. Fischer (ed.), Landolt-Börnstein - Group II: Molecules and Radicals, Springer Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg (1984), Vol. 13D.Google Scholar