BER minimisation via optimal power allocation and eigenbeamforming in MIMO systems
In this contribution, the convex optimisation technique is deployed to optimize the data transmission in MIMO systems operating via eigenbeamforming. Initially, we study three optimal Power Allocation (PA) policies: the first one is used for maximising the total capacity, the equal power allocation and a PA proportional to the channel gains. In the sequence and more importantly, we propose a PA capable of minimising the average Bit Error Rate (BER) with a variable number of transmit antennas. In order to do so, the optimisation problem is first stated in the standard form; then the convexity of the problem will be proven; and finally, the optimisation problem is solved by using the Karush–Kuhn–Tucker conditions. Numerical results corroborate the analytic solution. Moreover, simulation results for both the average BER and sum capacity performance metrics demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed beamforming MIMO power allocation schemes in terms of system capacity maximisation or alternatively the BER minimisation (reliability).
KeywordsMIMO systems Convex optimisation Lambert function KKT conditions Water-filling algorithm
This work was supported in part by the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) of Brazil under Grant 304066/2015-0, Fundação Araucária under Grant 302/2012, and in part by State University of Londrina – Paraná State Government (UEL), and CAPES/DS scholarship.
- 3.Corless, R. M., Gonnet, G. H., Hare, D. E. G., Jeffrey, D. J., & Knuth, D. E. (1996). On the Lambert w function. In Advances in computational mathematics (Vol. 5, pp. 329–360).Google Scholar
- 9.Khalighi, M.-A., Brossier, J., Jourdain, G.V., & Raoof, K. (2001) Water filling capacity of Rayleigh MIMO channels. In 2001 12th IEEE international symposium on personal, indoor and mobile radio communications (Vol. 1, pp. A–155–A–158).Google Scholar
- 10.Lopes, W. T. A., Queiroz, W. J. L., Madeiro, F., & Alencar, M. S. (2007) Exact bit error probability of M-QAM modulation over flat Rayleigh fading channels. In Microwave and optoelectronics conference, 2007. IMOC 2007. SBMO/IEEE MTT-S international (pp. 804–806).Google Scholar
- 11.Molisch, A. F. (2010). Wireless communications. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- 19.Wolniansky, P. W., Foschini, G. J., Golden, G. D., & Valenzuela, R. (1998) V-BLAST: An architecture for realizing very high data rates over the rich-scattering wireless channel. In International symposium on signals, systems, and electronics, 1998. ISSSE 98. 1998 URSI (pp. 295–300).Google Scholar