Traffic aware cell selection algorithm for Tetra Trunk based professional mobile radio
- 20 Downloads
Load balancing and traffic management are the critical needs in cell selection decision for a better and seamless communication demands in professional mobile radios. For the cases where cell selection algorithms do not consider the traffic load, there may be call drops due to the congestion in networks or longer call setup times for the users. These undesired consequences can cause dramatic quality degradation especially for the emergency cases or public safety services. In this paper, we propose two algorithms for Tetra Trunk based professional mobile radios by considering both traffic load and received signal strength indication (RSSI) in order to reduce the significant delays while establishing transmissions. The proposed full set cell selection algorithm is prioritized to reduce the call setup time for the mobile users and the proposed reduced set cell selection algorithm is focused on minimizing the number of RSSI measurements which causes significant delay in practical professional mobile radio. We illustrate the performance results in terms of delay for Tetra Trunk based professional mobile radio.
KeywordsTetra Trunk Professional mobile radio Cell selection algorithm Traffic aware
This work has been supported by Republic Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology under SAN-TEZ 0686.STZ.2014 Programme.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 1.Gutierrez, F., & Valdovinos, A. (1998). Performance improvement by using different transmission techniques for the digital mobile radio system TETRA. In Electrotechnical Conference, 1998. MELECON 98., 9th Mediterranean, Tel-Aviv, vol. 2, pp. 726–729.Google Scholar
- 2.Gao, Z., Chen, C., Li, Y., Wen, B., Huang, L., & Zhao, Y. (2015). A mobility load balancing algorithm based on handover optimization in LTE network. In 2015 10th International Conference on Computer Science & Education (ICCSE), Cambridge, pp. 611–614.Google Scholar
- 3.Park, W., Um, H., Ahn, J., & Lee, S. (1997). Performance analysis on traffic load shedding schemes for mobile communication system. In Proceedings of ICUPC 97—6th International Conference on Universal Personal Communications, San Diego, CA, vol. 1, pp. 306–310.Google Scholar
- 5.Akkarajitsakul, K., & Phunchongharn, P. (2015). Joint cell selection and subchannel allocation for energy efficiency in small cell networks: A coalitional game. In 2015 International Conference on Wireless Communications & Signal Processing (WCSP), Nanjing, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 6.Qian, C., Zhang, S., Zhou, W. (2012). A novel cell selection strategy with load balancing for both idle and RRC-connected users in 3GPP LTE network. In 2012 International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing (WCSP), Huangshan, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 7.Moon, J. M., & Cho, D. H. (2010). Cell Selection Algorithm Based on Competition of Users in Hierarchical Cellular Networks. 2010 IEEE Wireless Communication and Networking Conference, Sydney, Australia, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 8.Nie, G., Tian, H., & Ren, C. (2016). Energy efficient cell selection in small cell networks with constrained backhaul links. IEEE Communications Letters, 20(6), 1199–1202.Google Scholar
- 9.Thakur, R., Kotagi, V. J., & Murthy, C. S. R. (2015). An energy efficient cell selection scheme for femtocell network with spreading. In 2015 IEEE 26th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), Hong Kong, pp. 1569–1573.Google Scholar
- 11.Karatas, A., Ozbek, B., Sonmez, I., & Bengur, S. (2016). Load based cell selection algorithm for Tetra based professional mobile radio. In 2016 24th Telecommunications Forum (TELFOR), Belgrade, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 12.Terrestrial Trunked Radio (TETRA); Voice plus Data (V+D); Part 2: Air Interface (AI). ETSI TS 100 392-2 V3.6.1, 2013–05.Google Scholar
- 13.Karatas, A., Ozbek, B., Bardak, E. D., & Sonmez, I. (2016). Cell selection algorithm performance for Tetra trunk. In 2016 24th Signal Processing and Communication Application Conference (SIU), Zonguldak, pp. 373–376.Google Scholar
- 14.Sangiamwong, J., Saito, Y., Miki, N., Abe, T., Nagata, S., & Okumura, Y. (2011). Investigation on cell selection methods associated with inter-cell interference coordination in heterogeneous networks for LTE-advanced downlink. 17th European Wireless 2011—Sustainable Wireless Technologies, Vienna, Austria, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 15.ETSI Technical Report143 030 V9.0.0 (2010-02), while the objective of the proposed traffic aware reduced set cell selection algorithm’Digital cellular telecommunications system (Phase 2+); Radio network planning aspects’, 3GPP TR 43.030 version 9.0.0 Release 9, (2010).Google Scholar