Algorithmic Construction of the Subdifferential from Directional Derivatives
- 100 Downloads
The subdifferential of a function is a generalization for nonsmooth functions of the concept of gradient. It is frequently used in variational analysis, particularly in the context of nonsmooth optimization. The present work proposes algorithms to reconstruct a polyhedral subdifferential of a function from the computation of finitely many directional derivatives. We provide upper bounds on the required number of directional derivatives when the space is ℝ1 and ℝ2, as well as in ℝ n where subdifferential is known to possess at most three vertices.
KeywordsSubdifferential Directional derivative Polyhedral construction Geometric probing
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)Primary; 52B12 65K15 Secondary; 49M37 90C30 90C56
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bagirov, A.M.: Continuous subdifferential approximations and their applications, vol. 115. Optimization and related topics, 2 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Dobkin, D., Edelsbrunner, H., Yap, C.K.: Probing convex polytopes. In: Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, STOC ’86, pp. 424–432. ACM, New York (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.Finkel, D.E., Kelley, C.T.: Convergence analysis of the DIRECT algorithm. Technical Report. CRSC-TR04-28 Center for Research in Scientific Computation (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Hare, W., Macklem, M.: Derivative-free optimization methods for finite minimax problems. Optimization Methods and Software, iFirst, 1–13 (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Rockafellar, R.T., Wets, R.J.-B.: Variational Analysis, volume 317 of Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften [Fundamental Principles of Mathematical Sciences]. Springer, Berlin (1998)Google Scholar
- 18.Romanik, K.: Geometric probing and testing - a survey. Technical Report 95-42, DIMACS Technical Report (1995)Google Scholar
- 21.Tiwary, H.R.: Complexity of Some Polyhedral Enumeration Problems. PhD Thesis. Universität des Saarlandes, Germany (2008)Google Scholar