An Efficient Adaptive Interpolation for Bayer CFA Demosaicking
Demosaicking refers to the image processing of reconstruction full color image from the raw incomplete samples recorded by a single-chip image sensor. For most available demosaicking methods, the image edges are important cues to design the interpolation scheme, and the accuracy of edge estimation has great influence on the reconstructed image quality. In this paper, a block edge estimation method is proposed by considering all the color channels comprehensively. Based on the novel edge estimation method, the proposed algorithm firstly interpolates the G channel pixels with the guidance of the color correlation and edge directions. The interpolated G channel is further used to help the R and B channel interpolations in sequence. In addition, a border pixels interpolation strategy is also presented to overcome the difficulties of the gradient estimation at border positions. Both Kodak and IMAX data set are used to test the validation of the proposed methods. The experimental results demonstrate that the proposed algorithm provides superior performances in terms of both objective evaluate and subjective visual quality.
KeywordsDemosaicking Color filter array Color interpolation Gradient estimation
This paper is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 61871210, 61102108), Scientific Research Fund of Hunan Provincial Education Department (Nos. 16B225, YB2013B039), the Natural Science Foundation of Hunan Province (No. 2016JJ3106), Chuanshan talents program of the University of South China, the construct program of key disciplines in USC (No. NHXK04), and Scientific Research Fund of Hengyang Science and Technology Bureau (No. 2015KG51).
- 2.Bayer, B. E. (1976). Color imaging array. U.S. Patent 3,971,065.Google Scholar
- 3.Menon, D., & Calvagno, G. (2011). Color image demosaicking: An overview. Signal Processing: Image Communication, 26(8), 518–533.Google Scholar
- 4.Aggarwal, H. K., & Majumdar, A. (2014). Compressive sensing multi-spectral demosaicing from single sensor architecture. In Proceedings of the international conference on signal and information processing (ICIP), Xi’an (pp. 334–338).Google Scholar
- 5.Rossi, M., & Calvagno, G. (2014). Luminance driven sparse representation based demosaicking. In Proceedings of the international conference on image processing (ICIP), Paris (pp. 1788–1792).Google Scholar
- 6.Tan, Y. P. (2016). Hybrid color filter array demosaicking for effective artifact suppression. Journal of Electronic Imaging, 15(1), 13003–13020.Google Scholar
- 14.Li, N., Jim, S., Jimmy, L., & Randhawa, S. (2016). Edge preserving CFA demosaicking based on nonlinear weighted color differences. In IEEE Region 10 conference (TENCON) (pp. 2159–3450).Google Scholar
- 23.The Kodak data set. http://www.cipr.rpi.edu/resource/stills/kodak.html.
- 24.Shiau, Y. H., Chen, P. Y., & Chang, C. W. (2011). An area-efficient colour demosaicking scheme for VLSI architecture. International Journal of Innovative Computing, Information and Control, 7(4), 1739–1752.Google Scholar
- 26.Wang, X., & Cai, S. Y. (2007). Study of regulation of choosing rendering intent utilizing S-CIELAB. Packaging Engineering, 28, 82–84.Google Scholar
- 27.Wang, D. Y., Yu, G., Zhou, X., & Wang, C. Y. (2017). Image demosaicking for Bayer-patterned CFA images using improved linear interpolation. In Proceedings of the 7th international conference on information science and technology, Da Nang, Vietnam, April 16–19, 2017 (pp. 464–469).Google Scholar
- 29.Aggarwal, H. K., & Majumdar, A. (2014). Compressive sensing multi-spectral demosaicing from single sensor architecture. In Proceedings of the international conference on signal and information processing (ICIP) (pp. 334–338).Google Scholar
- 30.The IMAX data set. http://www4.comp.polyu.edu.hk/~cslzhang/CDM_Dataset.htm.