Work and Social Justice: The Demands of Welfare in Kuwaiti Society
For centuries, philosophers and scholars have debated the role of the state in forming and distributing well-being, a concept now termed the ‘welfare state’. An ideal welfare state is one that protects and promotes the economic and social well-being of its citizens, based on the principles of equal opportunity and equitable distribution of wealth. In order to create such a welfare state, there must be a balance between a society’s demands and the market’s needs. In this paper, I argue for the need for equal and just welfare state reform based on the current needs and demands of both society and the labour market in Kuwait. Moreover, I discuss unemployment as a result of disequilibrium between society and market needs. Finally, I propose education reform as a solution to the unemployment problem.
KeywordsEquality Justice Work Welfare state Unemployment Automation
- Alsuwailan, Z., Alkandari, K. 2017. The reasons behind students’ choice to certain majors in College of Education. Educational Journal 24(31): 61–96.Google Scholar
- Bartlett, W., M. Uvalic, N. Durazzi, V. Monastiriotis, and T. Sene. 2016. From university to employment: Higher education provision and labour market needs in Western Balkans. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. Synthesis Report.Google Scholar
- Ben Jelili, R. 2010. API/WPS 1015. The Arab region’s unemployment problem revisited. Kuwait: The Arab Planning Institute.Google Scholar
- Carvalho, A., J. Youssef, and N. Dunais. 2017. Increasing private sectors employment of nationals in the GCC labour policy options to the rescue. Kuwait: Tri International Consulting Group.Google Scholar
- Dewey, J. 2013. The school and society and the child and the curriculum. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Dewey, J. 1998. In The essential dewey volume 1 pragmatism, education, democracy, ed. L.A. Hickman, and T.M. Alexander. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Eriksson, L., Isemo, S., and Abrahamssom, H. 2016. On justice, fairness, and equality Gothenburg. Retrieved from https://www.mistraurbanfutures.org/sites/mistraurbanfutures.org/files/justice-fairness-eriksson-isemo-abrahamsson_0.pdf.
- European Commission. 1995. White paper on education and training—Teaching and Learning: Toward a learning society. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Union. Retrieved from http://europa.eu/documents/comm/white_papers/pdf/com95_590_en.pdf.
- EY. 2015. How will the GCC Close the Skills Gap? Retrieved from https://www.ey.com/publication/vwluassets/ey-gcc-education-report-how-will-the-gcc-close-the-skills-gap/%24file/gcc%20education%20report%20final%20au3093.pdf.
- Hamlin, A. 2008. The Ideal of the Welfare and the Welfare State. Retrieved from http://hummedia.manchester.ac.uk/schools/soss/politics/research/workingpapers/mancept/IdeaofWELFARE2.pdf.
- Harvey, D. 1973. Social justice and the city. Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Hellstrom, E, Hamalainen, T, Matti lahti, V, Justin, W, and Jousilahti, J. 2015. Toward a sustainable well-being society: From principles to applications. Sitra working Paper. Retrieved from https://media.sitra.fi/2017/06/19134752/Towards_a_Sustainable_Wellbeing_Society_2.pdf.
- Herman, D. 1976. Philosophy, sociology and the theory of social welfare: A conceptual starting point. The Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare, 3(4), Article 2. Retrieved from https://scholarworks.wmich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1135&context=jssw.
- International Labour Organizatio. 2018. World Employment Social Outlook. Geneva: International Labour Office.Google Scholar
- Kariuki, P. 2018. Curriculum change can be the solution to youth unemployment. Times Live. Retrieved from https://www.timeslive.co.za/sebenza-live/features/2018-06-26-how-changing-the-education-curriculum-can-help-with-youth-employment/.
- Knight, T. 1997. The problem solving curriculum: preparation for the work. Proceedings from British Educational Research Association Annual Conference. University of York. Retrieved from www.leeds.ac.uk/educol/documents/000000476.htm.
- Livingstone, D. 1998. The education–jobs gap: Underemployment or economic democracy. New York: Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group.Google Scholar
- Locke, J. 2002. Second treatise on government. New York: Dover Publications Inc. Retrieved from https://www.scribd.com/book/271609752.
- Madan, G.R. 1998. India of tomorrow, 3rd ed. Mumbai: Allied Publishers Limited.Google Scholar
- Manpower Group. 2012. How policymakers can boost youth employment. Retrieved from https://www.manpowergroup.com/wps/wcm/connect/d2ef580f-8cea-4e22-afcb-495998121435/How_Policymakers_Can_Boost_Youth_Employment_FINAL_09-18-12.pdf?MOD=AJPERES.
- Millington, K. 2017. How changes in technology and automation will affect the labour market in Africa. Retrieved from http://www.gsdrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Impact-of-automation-on-jobs-in-Africa.pdf.
- Nieuwenhuis, J. 2012. The challenges faced by education in solving the unemployment problem in South Africa. Problems of Education in the 21 st Century, 42, 82-96. Retrieved from http://www.scientiasocialis.lt/pec/files/pdf/vol42/82-96.Nieuwenhuis_Vol.42.pdf.
- O’Brien, M, Bradform, S, Dalziel, P, Stephens, M, Walters, M, and Wicks, W. 2010. Welfare justice: the alternative welfare working group. J. Knox and L. Beech (Eds.). Retrieved from https://caritas.org.nz/sites/default/files/Welfare%20Justice%20for%20All.pdf.
- Ochieng, R. 2014. The critical role of curriculum in addressing youth unemployment in Kenya: Opportunities and challenges. International Journal of Education and Research 2(4): 493–508.Google Scholar
- PAAET. 2001. The Public Authority for Applied Education and Training code of ethics. Retrieved from http://www.paaet.edu.kw/mysite/Portals/0/Employe/PAAET%20CODE%20OF%20ETHICS.pdf.
- Plato. 1973. The Republic. (B. Jowett, Trans.). Retrieved from https://www.scribd.com/book/53871134.
- Qiquan, Z, and T. Liya. 2013. Continuous journey: Curriculum policy change in Mainland China. In Curriculum Innovations in Changing Societies, ed. Edmond Hau-Fai Law and Chenzhi Li. Amsterdam: Sense Publishers.Google Scholar
- Ramaswamy, K 2018. Technological change, automation and employment: A short Review of Theory and Evidence. Retrieved from http://www.igidr.ac.in/pdf/publication/WP-2018-002.pdf.
- Rawls, J. 1971. A theory of justice. Harvard: Belknap Press of Harvard University.Google Scholar
- Russell, B. 1926. Education and the good life. New York: Boni and Liveright ING.Google Scholar
- Shah, N. 2005. Restrictive labour immigration policies in the oil-rich Gulf: Effectiveness and implications for sending Asian countries Retrieved from http://www.un.org/esa/population/migration/turin/Symposium_Turin_files/P03_Shah.pdf.
- Vukovic, A. 2015. The Necessity of solving youth unemployment. Ekohomhka, UDK, 61, 339(497, 1), 173–182.Google Scholar
- Wolf, C. Jr., Yeh, K.C, Zycher, B., Eberstadt, N., and Lee, S.-H. 2003. Fault lines in China’s economic terrain. Pittsburg: Rand. Retrieved from https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monograph_reports/2006/MR1686.pdf.
- Woods, D. 2007. The Welfare State and Pressures to Reform. A literature Review. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/237390833_The_Welfare_State_and_Pressures_to_Reform_A_Literature_Review.