Some Considerations on Well-Being Evaluation Procedures, Taking the Cue from “Exploring Multidimensional Well-Being in Switzerland: Comparing Three Synthesizing Approaches”
- 124 Downloads
In this short paper, we outline some considerations on three different procedures for the statistical evaluation of multidimensional well-being, taking the cue from a recent paper of Iglesias et al. There, the authors apply and compare Confirmatory Factor Analysis, the Alkire–Foster counting approach and the Partial Order Approach on real data, pointing out limitations and potentialities of each procedure. To deepen, and partially correct, some of their (albeit interesting) remarks, here we review the fundamental features of those approaches, so as to shed light on their structural differences and to show that they move from, and may lead to, alternative views on well-being.
KeywordsWell-being Confirmatory factor analysis Alkire–Foster counting approach Partial order approach
- Bruggemann, R., Restrepo, G., Voigt, K., & Annoni, P. (2013). Weighting intervals and ranking. Exemplified by leaching potential of pesticides. MATCH Communications in Mathematical and in Computer Chemistry, 69, 413–432.Google Scholar
- Fattore, M. (2008). Hasse diagrams, poset theory and fuzzy poverty measures, Rivista Internazionale di Scienze Sociali 1/2008.Google Scholar
- Fattore, M., Maggino, F., & Greselin, F. (2011). Socio-economic evaluation with ordinal variables: Integrsting counting and poset approaches. Statistica & applicazioni, Special Issue 2011, 31–42.Google Scholar
- Fattore, M., & Maggino, F. (2014). Partial orders in socio-economics: A practical challenge for poset theorists or a cultural challenge for social scientists? In R. Bruggemann, L. Carlsen, & J. Wittmann (Eds.), Multi-indicator systems and modelling in partial order. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Fattore, M., & Arcagni, A. (2016). A reduced posetic approach to the measurement of multidimensional ordinal deprivation. Social Indicators Research. doi: 10.1007/s11205-016-1501-4.
- Iglesias, K., Suter, C., Beycan, T., & Vani, B. P. (2016). Exploring multidimensional well-being in Switzerland. Social Indicators Research. doi: 10.1007/s11205-016-1452-9.