Considerations in Qualitative Research Reporting: A Guide for Authors Preparing Articles for Sex Roles
- 539 Downloads
Qualitative inquiry is frequently used to deepen understanding, improve empathy, and inspire social change, making it particularly appropriate for researchers using feminist, critical or other frameworks that encourage readers to consider issues of power and privilege. Gender researchers using qualitative inquiry are able to select from within a multitude of qualitative approaches to address the purpose of any given research study. The availability of so many approaches makes it challenging to provide one set of “best practices” for qualitative inquiry. The purpose of the present paper is to address this challenge by providing a combination of general and approach-specific guidelines for authors who aspire to write qualitative original research articles for publication in Sex Roles. I begin by providing broad guidelines, follow with approach-specific considerations, and finish the paper with advice related to common practices in qualitative research reporting. I also provide a sample of authoritative sources authors might wish to consult and cite in their research papers.
KeywordsQualitative research Publication Author guidelines Gender research
Thanks to Jennifer McGarry, as well as Karen Elizabeth Dill-Shackleford, Russell Luyt, and C.J. Pascoe, for their valuable input on drafts of the present paper.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The author has no conflicts of interest to declare regarding this work.
- American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar
- Barone, T., & Eisner, E. W. (2011). Arts based research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Bazeley, P. (2013). Qualitative data analysis: Practical strategies. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Berkovitch, N., & Manor, S. (2018). Narratives of Israeli women in retirement: Rewriting the gender contract. Sex Roles. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-018-0918-4.
- Charmez, K. (2014). Constructing grounded theory (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Clandinin, D. J. (2013). Engaging in narrative inquiry. Abington, UK: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Corbin, J., & Strauss, A. (2015). Basics of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory (4rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Critical Skills Appraisal Programme. (2017). CASP qualitative checklist. Retrieved from http://www.casp-uk.net/casp-tools-checklists.
- Ellis, C. (2013). The ethnographic I: A methodological novel about autoethnography. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira.Google Scholar
- Fetterman, D. M. (2010). Ethnography step-by-step (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Gee, J. P. (2014). An introduction to discourse analysis theory and method (4th ed.). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Gibbs, G. (2007). Qualitative data analysis. London, UK: Sage.Google Scholar
- Giorgi, A. (2009). The descriptive phenomenological method in psychology: A modified Husserlian approach. Pittsburgh, PA: Duquesne University.Google Scholar
- Glaser, B. G., & Strauss, A. L. (1967). The discovery of grounded theory: Strategies for qualitative research. New Brunswick, NJ: Aldine.Google Scholar
- Hesse-Bieber, S. N. (2010). Mixed methods research: Merging theory with practice. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Leavy, P. (2015). Method meets art (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Lewin, S., Glenton, C., Munthe-Kaas, H, Carlsen, B., Colvin, C.J., Gilmezoblu, M., ... Rashidian, A. (2015). Using qualitative evidence in decision making for health and social interventions: An approach to assess confidence in findings for qualitative evidence syntheses (GRADE-CERQual). PLoS Medicine 12(10), e1001895. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001895.
- Miller, Y., Kark, R., & Zohar, N. (2018). Her/his ethics? Managerial ethics in moral decision-making from a contextual, gendered, and relational perspective. Sex Roles. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-018-0920-x.
- Morse, J. M., & Niehaus, L. (2009). Mixed method design: Principles and procedures. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast.Google Scholar
- Reissman, C. K. (2008). Narrative methods for the human sciences. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Saldaña, J. (2011). Fundamentals of qualitative research. Oxford: New York.Google Scholar
- Saldaña, J. (2016). The coding manual for qualitative researchers (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Sandelowski, M. (2000). Whatever happened to qualitative description? Research in Nursing and Health, 23, 334–340. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-240X(200008)23:4<334::AID-NUR9>3.0.CO;2-G.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sandelowski, M., & Barroso, J. (2007). Handbook for synthesizing qualitative research. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Schreier, J. (2012). Qualitative content analysis in practice. London, UK: Sage.Google Scholar
- Smith, J. A., Flower, P., & Larkin, M. (2009). Interpretative phenomenological analysis: Theory, method and research. London, UK: Sage.Google Scholar
- Spradley, J. P. (1979/2016). The ethnographic interview. Long Grove, IL: Waveland.Google Scholar
- Stack, C. (1974). All our kin: Strategies for survival in a Black community. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Spradley, J. P. (1980/2016). Participant observation. Long Grove, IL: Waveland.Google Scholar
- Stack, R. E. (1995). The art of case study research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Teddlie, C., & Tashakkori, A. (2009). Foundations of mixed methods research: Integrating quantitative and qualitative approaches in the social and behavioral sciences. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Van Manen, M. (2016). Researching lived experience: Human science for an action sensitive pedagogy. Abingdon, UK: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Whyte, W. F. (1967). Street corner society. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago.Google Scholar
- Wodak, R., & Meyer, M. (2015). Methods of critical discourse studies (3rd ed.). London, UK: Sage.Google Scholar
- Yin, R. K. (2013). Case study research: Design and methods (5th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar