Overview of trends in global epigenetic research (2009–2017)
Epigenetics, one of the most rapidly intensifying fields of biological research, explores inheritable gene expression not governed by alterations in the DNA sequence. This article analysed the literature on epigenetics published between 2009 and 2017 using qualitative and visualisation techniques. The data were drawn from Clarivate Analytics’ Web of Science Core Collection in January 2018. CiteSpace V software was used to establish an intellectual overview, based on 13,295 scientific articles and review papers. Document co-citations were analysed and a variety of graphics was created. The aim was to define the scope of the field and identify its constituent specialities with automatic procedures based on the keywords and titles in the citing articles in the clusters identified. Ten subspecialities were identified. Field core papers were defined from the co-citation findings, Kleinberg’s burst detection algorithm and the structural variation theory metrics calculated for all the articles selected. The findings can be used to acquire an in-depth view of the patterns and trends in place in the domain and identify innovative and potentially transformational studies.
KeywordsEpigenetics Co-citation analysis Structural variation theory Core documents Knowledge domain CiteSpace
The authors wish to thank Margaret Clark, translator, for her linguistic support.
- Agrawal, K., Das, V., Vyas, P., & Hajduch, M. (2018). Nucleosidic DNA demethylating epigenetic drugs—A comprehensive review from discovery to clinic. Pharmacology & therapeutics. pii: S0163, 7258(18), 30031–30037.Google Scholar
- Ali, O., Cerjak, D., Kent, J. W., Jr., James, R., Blangero, J., Carless, M. A., et al. (2015). An epigenetic map of age-associated autosomal loci in northern European families at high risk for the metabolic syndrome. Clinical Epigenetics, 7(12), 1–18.Google Scholar
- Bai, Z. T., Bai, B., Zhu, J., Di, C. X., Li, X., & Zhou, W. C. (2018). Epigenetic actions of environmental factors and promising drugs for cancer therapy. Oncology Letters, 15, 2049–2056.Google Scholar
- Chen, C. (2005). The centrality of pivotal points in the evolution of scientific networks. In IUI ‘05 proceedings of the 10th international conference on intelligent user interfaces (pp. 98–105). New York: ACM.Google Scholar
- Chi, P., Chen, Y., Zhang, L., Guo, J., Wongvipat, J., Shamu, T., et al. (2010). ETV1 is a linear survival factor that cooperates with KIT in gastrointestinal stromal tumours. Nature Reviews Cancer, 467, 849–853.Google Scholar
- Clarivate Analytics. (2009). Special topics. Epigenetics. Science Watch, March. http://archive.sciencewatch.com/ana/st/epigen/. Accessed January 28, 2018.
- Dunning, T. (1993). Accurate methods for the statistics of surprise and coincidence. Computational Linguistics, 19(1), 61–74.Google Scholar
- Esteller, M., Corn, P. G., Baylin, S. B., & Herman, J. G. (2001). A gene hypermethylation profile of human cancer. Cancer Research, 61(8), 3225–3229.Google Scholar
- Frommer, M., MacDonald, L. E., Millar, D. S., Collis, C. S., Watt, F., Grigg, G. W., et al. (1992). A genomic sequencing protocol that yields a positive display of 5-methylcytosine residues in individual DNA strands. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 89(5), 1827–1831.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Garcia-Gimenez, J. L., Seco-Cervera, M., Tollefsbol, T. O., Roma-Mateo, C., Peiro-Chova, L., Lapunzina, P., et al. (2017). Epigenetic biomarkers: Current strategies and future challenges for their use in the clinical laboratory. Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, 54, 529–550.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hodgson, K., Carless, M. A., Kulkarni, H., Curran, J. E., Sprooten, E., Knowles, E. E., et al. (2017). Epigenetic age acceleration assessed with human white-matter images. Journal of Neurosciences, 37(18), 4735–4743.Google Scholar
- Joubert, H., Haberg, S. E., Nilsen, R. M., Wang, X. T., Vollser, S. E., Murphy, S. K., et al. (2012). 450 epigenome-wide scan identifies differential DNA methylation in newborns related to maternal smoking during pregnancy. Environmental Health Perspectives, 120(10), 1425–1431.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Klavans, R., & Boyack, K. W. (2017). Which type of citation analysis generates the most accurate taxonomy of scientific and technical knowledge. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 68(4), 984–998.Google Scholar
- Kleinberg, J. (2002). Bursty and hierarchical structure in streams. In Proceedings of of the 8th ACM SIGKDD international conference on knowledge discovery and data mining (pp. 91–101). NewYork: ACM Press.Google Scholar
- Lillycrop, K. A., Phillips, E. S., Jackson, A. A., Hanson, H. A., & Burdge, G. C. (2005). Dietary protein restriction of pregnant rats induces and folic acids supplementations prevents epigenetic modification of hepatic gene expression in the offspring. The Journal Nutrition, 135(6), 1382–1386.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ng, A. Y., Jordan, M. I., & Weiss, Y. (2002). On spectral clustering: Analysis and an algorithm. In NIPS’01 Proceedings of the 14th international conference on neural information processing systems: Natural and synthetic (pp. 849–856). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Rainho Bras, O., Cointet, J.-P., Cambrosio, A., David, L., Arriscado Nunes, J., Cardoso, F., et al. (2017). Oncology research in late twentieth century and turn of the century Portugal: A scientometric approach to its institutional and semantic dimensions. Scientometrics, 113(2), 867–888.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Roos, L., van Dongen, J., Bell, Ch G, Burri, A., Deloukas, P., Boomsma, D. I., et al. (2016). Integrative DNA methylome analysis of pan-cancer biomarkers in cancer discordant monozygotic twin-pairs. Clinical Epigenetics, 8(7), 1–16.Google Scholar
- Schvaneveldt, R. W., Durso, F. T., & Dearholt, D. W. (1989). Network Structures in Proximity Data. In G. Bower (Ed.), The psychology of learning and motivation: Advances in research and theory (Vol. 24, pp. 249–284). New York, NY: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Skvortsova, K., Zotenko, E., Luu, P.-L., Gould, C. M., Nair, S. S., Clark, S. J., et al. (2017). Comprehensive evaluation of genome-wide 5-hydroxymethylcytosine profiling approaches in human DNA. Epigenetics and Chromatin, 10(16), 1–20.Google Scholar
- Waddington, C. H. (1942). The epigenotype. Endeavor, 1, 18–20. Reprinted in International Journal Epidemiology, 41(1), 10–13 (2012).Google Scholar
- Zhao, D., & Strotmann, A. (2014). The knowledge base and research front of Information Science 2006–2010: An author co-citation and bibliographic coupling analysis. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 65(5), 996–1006.Google Scholar
- Zhu, Y., Kim, M. C., & Chen, C. (2017). An investigation of the intellectual structure of opinion mining research. Information Research, 22(1), paper 739. http://InformationR.net/ir/22-1/paper739.html. Accessed March 16, 2018.