Russian Index of Science Citation: Overview and review
- 153 Downloads
In early 2016 a new database was launched on the Web of Science platform—Russian Science Citation Index. The database is free to all Web of Science subscribers except those from the post-Soviet states. This database includes papers from 652 selected Russian journals and is based on the data from national citation index—Russian Index of Science Citation (RISC). RISC was launched in 2005 but it is scarcely known to the English-language audience. The paper describes the history, current structure and user possibilities of RISC. We focus on the novel features of RISC which are crucial to bibliometrics and are unavailable in the international citation indexes.
KeywordsNational citation indexes Russia Russian Index of Science Citation eLIBRARY.RU
The present study is an extended version of an article presented at the 16th International Conference on Scientometrics and Informetrics, Wuhan, China, 16–20 October 2017 (Moskaleva et al. 2017). We are grateful to Gennadiy Eremenko, CEO of eLIBRARY.RU, for his invaluable help. We thank Natalia Maksimova, Higher School of Economics Library Director, for arranging HSE access to bibliometric databases and her continuous support. M.A. thanks RFBR/RFH for support of this research (grant #14-03-00333). We also thank Vasiliy Pislyakov for his help in data mining.
- Arefiev, P., Eremenko, G., & Glukhov, V. (2012). Russian Index of Science Citation—The instrument for research evaluation. Bibliosphera, 5, 66–71.Google Scholar
- Eremenko, G. (2003). Science Electronic Library is 3 years old: The results and main opportunities for further development. Electronic Libraries, 6(1), 39–51.Google Scholar
- Garfield, E. (1974). Errors—Theirs, Ours and Yours. Current Contents, 25(19), 5–6.Google Scholar
- Garfield, E. (1990). How ISI selects journals for coverage: Quantitative and qualitative considerations. Current Contents, 22(28), 185–193.Google Scholar
- Gibson, J., Anderson, D. L., & Tressler, J. (2012). Which journal rankings best explain academic salaries? Evidence from the University of California. Working Paper in Economics 10/12. University of Waikato. Retrieved January 08, 2018, from ftp://wms-webprod1.mngt.waikato.ac.nz/RePEc/wai/econwp/1210.pdf.
- Kosmulski, M. (2006). “I”—A bibliometric index. Forum Akademickie, 11, 31.Google Scholar
- Moskaleva, O., Pislyakov, V., Sterligov, I., Akoev, M., & Shabanova, S. (2017). Russian Index of Science Citation: Overview and review. In Proceedings of ISSI 2017—The 16th international conference on scientometrics and informetrics (pp. 1076–1086). China: Wuhan University.Google Scholar
- Moskovkin, V. M., Liu, Y., Pupynina, E. V., Balabanova, T. V., & Peresypkin, A. P. (2017). Methodological aspects of assessing regional publication activity and citations: The case of the RF Central Federal District universities. Journal of Fundamental and Applied Sciences, 9(7S), 1089–1102.Google Scholar
- Pajić, D. (2015). The Serbian Citation Index: Contest and collapse. In Proceedings of ISSI conference 2015, Istanbul, Turkey (pp. 604–605).Google Scholar
- Pislyakov, V. (2007). Why should we create national citation indexes? Science and Technical Libraries, 2, 65–71.Google Scholar
- Šipka, P. (2005). The Serbian citation index: Context and content. In Proceedings of ISSI 2005—The 10th international conference of the international society for scientometrics and informetrics, Stockholm, Sweden (pp. 710–711). Stockholm: Karolinska University Press.Google Scholar
- Tretyakova, O. V. (2015). Development of national citation index as a condition for the formation of a system to evaluate scientific research performance. Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 1(37), 230–245.Google Scholar
- Wouters, P., Thelwall, M., Kousha, K., Waltman L., de Rijcke, S., Rushforth, A., & Franssen, T. (2015). The metric tide: Literature review (Supplementary Report I to the Independent Review of the Role of Metrics in Research Assessment and Management). HEFCE. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from http://www.dcscience.net/2015_metrictideS1.pdf.