Generation of K-Shell Radiation of Noble Gases in the Microsecond Implosion Regime
- 4 Downloads
Studies of K-shell plasma radiation sources were performed on the GIT-12 generator (4.7 MA, 1.7 μs). In the experiments, a new type of load configuration was used to form the Z-pinch plasma – a gas puff with an outer plasma shell. Noble gases neon and argon were used as working gases. The gas puff consisted of two cascades: a hollow cylindrical shell outside and a solid jet inside. The outer plasma shell was created with the help of plasma guns located on a diameter of 350 mm. A distinctive feature of these studies is that the experiments with the plasma radiation source were carried out in the microsecond implosion regime usually leading to a significant decrease in the efficiency of generation of K-shell x-rays. The use of the Z-pinch load of a new type significantly improved the efficiency of the microsecond plasma radiation source. As a result of optimization of the initial gas-puff parameters, a neon K-shell radiation yield of 14.7 kJ/cm at a peak implosion current of 3.5 MA was achieved. In experiments with argon gas puffs, the radiation yield reached 1.9 kJ/cm at a peak implosion current of 3.1 MA.
Keywordsz-pinch plasma radiation source K-shell radiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.R. J. Commisso, J. P. Apruzese, D. Mosher, et al., in: Proc. 16th IEEE Pulsed Power Conf., Albuquerque (2007), pp. 1773–1779.Google Scholar
- 11.F. Zucchini, H. Calamy, F. Lassalle, et al., in: Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Dense Z-Pinches, Alexandria, AIP Conf. Proc, 1088, 247–250 (2009).Google Scholar
- 12.V. A. Kokshenev, A. Yu. Labetskii, B. M. Kovalchuk, et al., in: Proc. 14th Int. Symp. on High-Current Electronics, Tomsk (2006), pp. 272–275.Google Scholar
- 14.A. V. Shishlov, V. A. Kokshenev, N. E. Kurmaev, et al., Izv. Vysh. Uchebn. Zaved. Fiz., 59, No. 9/3, 160–163 (2016).Google Scholar
- 16.R. B. Baksht, A. V. Fedyunin, A. Chuvatin, et al., Instrum. Exp. Tech., 41, No. 4, 536–538 (1998).Google Scholar
- 20.A. V. Shishlov, R. K. Cherdizov, F. I. Fursov, et al., J. Phys.: Conf. Ser., 1115, 022013 (2018).Google Scholar