Analysis of the Variability of the Circular Depolarization Ratio in Remote Sensing of an Inhomogeneous Medium
The influence of an inhomogeneous medium filled with scattering particles (for example, precipitation particles) on the polarization characteristics of electromagnetic waves circularly polarized in one (for example, right-hand) direction that propagate in the medium are considered. An approach is proposed for estimation of the influence of the wave polarization conversion on the magnitude of the circular depolarization ratio. The approach is based on representation of the inhomogeneous medium by the homogeneous region and the second region following it with anisotropic polarization properties and the orientation angle of the polarization eigenbasis relative to the measurement basis. A special feature of the proposed approach is the relationship for calculating the circular depolarization ratio of the probing wave backscattered by the inhomogeneous medium using a complex phasor of the wave scattered by the second (anisotropic) region of the medium.
Keywordscircular polarization circular depolarization ratio differential attenuation differential phase shift degree of polarization anisotropy orientation angle of the polarization eigenbasis of the anisotropic region of the medium scattering matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E. V. Masalov, in: Materials of the 7th Int. Scientific-Technical Conf. “Actual Problems in Electronic Instrument Engineering,” Novosibirsk (2010), pp. 77–79.Google Scholar
- 5.M. R. Kumjian, J. Operational Meteor., No. 1 (19), 226–242 (2010).Google Scholar
- 6.E. V. Masalov and V. N. Tatarinov, Zarub. Radielektr., No. 4, 44–52 (1987).Google Scholar
- 9.E. V. Masalov, V. A. Potekhin, and V. N. Tatarinov, Russ. Phys. J., 26, No. 7, 1–10 (1983).Google Scholar
- 10.V. N. Tatarinov, L. P. Ligthart, and S. V. Tatarinov, Introduction to Modern Theory of Polarization of Radar Signals. Polarization of Plane Electromagnetic Waves and Its Conversion: A Textbook, Vol. 1 [in Russian], Publishing House of TUSUR, Tomsk (2012).Google Scholar
- 11.N. N. Badulin, A. P. Batsula, E. B. Kulsheneva, et al., Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR. Fiz. Atm. Okeana, 20, No. 6 (1984)Google Scholar
- 12.T. Oguti, Proc. IEEE, 71, No. 9, 6–65 (1983).Google Scholar
- 13.A. P. Rodimov, V. V. Popovskii, and V. I. Dmitriev, Zarub/ Radioelektr.,No. 7, 25–37 (1980).Google Scholar
- 14.D. B. Kanareikin, N. F. Pavlov, and V. A. Potekhin, Polarization of Radar Signals [in Russian], Radio Svyaz’, Moscow (1966).Google Scholar