2,4-Dichlorophenoxyactic acid herbicide removal from water using chitosan
- 20 Downloads
Chitosan has been applied in the removal of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid herbicide from water because the herbicide is a toxic contaminant. The support was characterized by the NMR technique, and adsorption isotherms was used to study its surface area. The series of adsorption isotherms were adjusted to a modified Langmuir equation. The maximum number of moles of adsorbed 2,4-D was 4.02 103 mol per gram of chitosan. The ∆H values for the interaction were determined as − 1.4 kJ mol −1 for 2,4-D. All interaction processes were spontaneous and were accompanied by an increase in entropy. The technique of chromatography and electrochemistry was used to determine the amount of non-adsorbed herbicide in the solution, showing useful and satisfactory techniques in the adsorption study.
KeywordsAdsorption Water Chitosan Herbicides
Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia Goiano - Campus Iporá; Universidade Federal de Goiás (UFG)
This study was sponsored by Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de Goiás (FAPEG; grant no. 201410267000634).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 12.S. Ramziia, H. Ma, Y. Yao, K. Wei, Y. Huang, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 135, 1 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.V. Rizzi, A. Longo, T. Placido, P. Fini, J. Gubitosa, T. Sibillano, C. Giannini, P. Semeraro, E. Franco, M. Ferrandiz, P. Cosma, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 135, 1 (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.M.D.G. Luna, C.M. Futalan, C.A. Jurado Jr., J.I. Colades, M.-W. Wan, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 135, 15 (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.E.M. Rania, E. Rania, M.A. Elsherief, M. Shabaan, M.Z. Elsabee, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 13, 1 (2017)Google Scholar
- 24.R. Kamaraj, A. Pandiarajan, M. Rajiv Gandhi, A. Shibayama, S. Vasudevan, Chemistry Select 2, 342 (2017)Google Scholar
- 25.R. Kamaraj, A. Pandiarajan, S. Vasudevan, Journal of Environmental Chemical 18, 2213 (2018)Google Scholar
- 26.R. Kamaraj, S. Vasudevan, Royal Society of Chemistry 2015(1), 1 (2015)Google Scholar
- 27.R. Kamaraj, D.J. Davidson, S. Vasudevan, Royal Society of Chemistry 1, 1 (2015)Google Scholar
- 30.M. Zhao, S.H. Lee, J.G. Song, H.Y. Kim, H.-K. Han, Int. J. Pharm. 18, 378 (2018)Google Scholar
- 33.M. Naushad, S. Vasudevan, G. Sharma, A. Kumar, Z.A. Alothman, Desalination Water Treat. 57, 1 (2015)Google Scholar