Selective vapour phase dehydrogenation of biomass-derived 1,4-butanediol to gamma butyrolactone over Cu/ZrO2 catalysts: influence of La2O3 promotor
A series of Cu/ZrO2–La2O3 catalysts with various La2O3 loadings were prepared by coprecipitation method and tested for the synthesis of γ-butyrolactone by dehydrogenation of 1,4-butanediol. The catalysts were characterized by XRD, TPR, FT-IR, TPD of NH3 and CO2, SEM, HRTEM and N2O pulse chemisorption studies. The results revealed that the specific surface area, dispersity of Cu species and metallic Cu surface area were increased by the addition of La2O3 but also prevented the agglomeration of metal particles and acidity of the catalysts. The 5 wt.% La2O3/Cu/ZrO2 exhibited excellent yield (96%) of γ-butyrolactone compared to Cu/ZrO2 and 3 wt.% La2O3/Cu/ZrO2 catalysts and it has shown consistent activity and selectivity during 15 h on stream study.
Keywords1,4-Butanediol Cu/ZrO2 γ-Butyrolactone Dehydrogenation Lanthanum oxide
The authors P.N., M.V. and K.T. gratefully thank University Grant Commission, New Delhi, for financial support and CSIR, New Delhi.
Funding was provided by University Grants Commission (grant nos. 23/06/2013(i)EU-V, 17-06/2012(i)EU-V, 17-06/2012(i)EU-V).
- 6.H.E. Bellis, W. Del, US Pat 5110954 (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.S. Suzuki, T. Fujii, H. Ueno, Tonen Corp., EP507023-A (1991)Google Scholar
- 8.T. Ichiki, K. Mori, S. Suzuki, H. Ueno, K. Kobayashi, Tonen Chemical Corp., US5210229 (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.J. Chen, Basf Catalysts LLC, US201021080A1 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.R. Sigg, H. Regner, US Patent No. 5,426,195 (1995)Google Scholar
- 35.K.J. Arun, A.K. Batra, A. Krishna, K. Bhat, M.D. Aggarwal, P.J. Joseph Francis, Am. J. Mater. Sci. 5, 36 (2015)Google Scholar
- 38.M.H. Jochen, F.F. Pape, J. Simon, A. Henne, M. Hesse, U. Kohler, R. Dostalek, C.F. Erdbrugger, D. Kratz (2000) BASF Aktiengesellschaft, US patent 6,093,677Google Scholar