Flood Hazards Impact on Neighborhood House Prices
- 196 Downloads
This study estimated the effect of flood hazards on residential property values by applying a hedonic price model to house sale data from 2007 to 2013 in the Fargo-Moorhead Metropolitan Statistical Area. A difference-in-difference framework was used to estimate changes in the price discount associated with houses located within a 100-year floodplain. We investigated how this price discount changed following a major flood event, providing empirical insight into how flood risk was perceived by homebuyers. We also estimated how the price discount varied as the control group was composed of houses increasingly further from the 100-year floodplain. Our results suggest that the flood price discount varies both temporally and spatially. Particularly in the year following a major and non-major flood event, the price discount increased by over 13%. Additionally, the estimated price discount when comparing properties inside the floodplain to those 1000–1500 ft from the floodplain was 8.6 percentage points higher (in absolute value) than the estimated price discount when comparing properties inside the floodplain to those immediately outside the 100-year floodplain.
KeywordsHedonic model Flood hazards Difference-in-differences Flood price discount
JEL ClassificationR2 C2
We would like to thank Fargo-Moorhead Association of Realtors for providing the real estate transaction data. We also gratefully thank the anonymous reviewers for the helpful comments. All remaining errors are our own.
- Anselin, L. (2005), Exploring spatial data with GeoDa: A workbook. http://geodacenter.asu.edu/system/files/geodaworkbook.pdf
- Gilovich, T., Griffin, D., & Kahneman, D. (2002). Heuristics and biases: The psychology of intuitive judgment. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Goodman, J. L. J. (1993). A housing market matching model of the seasonality in geographic mobility. Journal of Real Estate Research 8(1), 117.Google Scholar
- Harrison, D. M., Smersh, G. T., & Schwartz Jr., A. L. (2001). Environmental determinants of housing prices: The impact of flood zone status. The Journal of Real Estate Research, 21(1), 3–20.Google Scholar
- Morgan, A. (2007). The impact of hurricane Ivan on expected flood losses, perceived flood risk, and Property Values. Journal of Housing Research, 16(1), 47–60.Google Scholar
- Shilling, J. D., Benjamin, J. D., & Sirmans, C. F. (1985). Adjusting comparable sales for floodplain location. The Appraisal Journal, 53, 429–436.Google Scholar