Facile solvo-hydrothermal synthesis of Bi2MoO6 for the photocatalytic reduction of CO2 into ethanol in water under visible light
- 20 Downloads
Bi2MoO6 photocatalysts were synthesized by the hydro- and solvothermal methods. Using different solvents, pH values of the precursor suspensions and temperature during synthesis were tested, by and experimental design, to investigate the effect of these variables on the catalysts’ photocatalytic activity. To evaluate and compare the physical properties of the samples, X-ray diffraction analysis, SEM, BET measurements, UV–vis spectroscopy and zeta potential were applied. The results revealed that the pH is the statistically significant variable more important for both solvents and differences in catalysts characterizations, like morphology and crystallinity, were found with the solvents change. The as-synthesized samples exhibited good performance for the photoreduction of CO2 into ethanol in liquid phase. The yields of ethanol obtained over Bi2MoO6–H2O and Bi2MoO6–EG/Et catalysts, under the optimal conditions, were 34.44 and 24.43 µmol g−1 h−1, respectively.
KeywordsBi2MoO6 CO2 reduction Photocatalysis Visible light
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support of CAPES and CNPq.
- 9.Yu C, Wu Z, Liu R, Dionysiou DD, Yang K, Wang C, Liu H (2017) Novel fluorinated Bi2MoO6 nanocrystals for efficient photocatalytic removal of water organic pollutants under different light source illumination. Appl Catal B 209(Supplement C):1–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2017.02.057 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Bi J, Che J, Wu L, Liu M (2013) Effects of the solvent on the structure, morphology and photocatalytic properties of Bi2MoO6 in the solvothermal process. Mater Res Bull 48(6):2071–2075. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2013.02.033 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Hu J, Weng S, Zheng Z, Pei Z, Huang M, Liu P (2014) Solvents mediated-synthesis of BiOI photocatalysts with tunable morphologies and their visible-light driven photocatalytic performances in removing of arsenic from water. J Hazard Mater 264:293–302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2013.11.027 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Zhang B, Li J, Gao Y, Chong R, Wang Z, Guo L, Zhang X, Li C (2017) To boost photocatalytic activity in selective oxidation of alcohols on ultrathin Bi2MoO6 nanoplates with Pt nanoparticles as cocatalyst. J Catal 345(Supplement C):96–103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcat.2016.11.023 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Ola O, Maroto-Valer MM (2015) Review of material design and reactor engineering on TiO2 photocatalysis for CO2 reduction. J Photochem Photobiol C 24:16–42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotochemrev.2015.06.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar