Synthesis of bimetallic AuPt/CeO2 catalysts and their comparative study in CO oxidation under different reaction conditions
- 34 Downloads
In the present work, ceria-supported Au–Pt catalyst with metal ratio 3:2 was prepared using a “single-source precursor” concept. The double complex salt [AuEn2]2[Pt(NO2)4]3·6H2O was used as such precursor. CeO2 of unique morphology with developed surface area (120 m2/g) obtained by urea precipitation technique was used as a support. According to XRD data, size of the alloyed Au–Pt particles was estimated to be less than 3 nm. It was shown that bimetallic Au–Pt system intensifies release of oxygen from the CeO2 lattice. The 0.5%Au2Pt3/CeO2 catalyst was comparatively studied in low temperature CO oxidation (simplified model reaction mixture) and under prompt thermal aging conditions (complex reaction mixture) with regard to monometallic reference samples 0.2%Au/CeO2 and 0.3%Pt/CeO2. The catalytic performance of the samples was found to be significantly dependent on the reaction and pre-treatment conditions. In the case of the bimetallic catalyst, reversible redistribution and enrichment of the nanoparticle surface with Pt or Au were shown to be the key factor defining the activity.
KeywordsBimetallic AuPt alloys Preparation Double complex salt CO oxidation Thermal stability
This study was funded by the Russian Science Foundation (Grant Number 16-13-10192).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 8.Sahoo TR, Armandi M, Arletti R, Piumetti M, Bensaid S, Manzoli M, Panda SR, Bonelli B (2017) Pure and Fe-doped CeO2 nanoparticles obtained by microwave assisted combustion synthesis: physico-chemical properties ruling their catalytic activity towards CO oxidation and soot combustion. Appl Catal B 211:31–45CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Dudak M, Novak V, Koci P, Marek M, Blanco-Garcia P, Thompsett D (2016) Impact of zeolite and γ-alumina intra-particle diffusion on the performance of a dual layer catalyst. Eng J (Amsterdam, Netherlands) 301:178–187Google Scholar
- 28.Bruix A, Rodriguez JA, Ramírez PJ, Senanayake SD, Evans J, Park JB, Stacchiola D, Liu P, Hrbek J, Illas F (2012) A new type of strong metal–support interaction and the production of H2 through the transformation of water on Pt/CeO2(111) and Pt/CeOx/TiO2(110) catalysts. J Am Chem Soc 134:8968–8974CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 43.Feng JJ, Chen LX, Ma X, Yuan J, Chen JR, Wang AJ, Xu QQ (2017) Bimetallic Au–Pt alloy nanodendrites/reduced graphene oxide: one-pot ionic liquid-assisted synthesis and excellent electro-catalysis towards hydrogen evolution and methanol oxidation reactions. Int J Hydrogen Energ 42:1120–1129CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 51.Chernyaev I (1964) Synthesis of complex compounds of platinum group metals. Nauka, MoscowGoogle Scholar
- 55.Nakamoto K (2009) Infrared and Raman spectra of inorganic and coordination compounds, Pt, B: Applications in coordination, organometallic and bioinorganic chemistry, 6th edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar