Hydrogen production from methanol steam reforming catalyzed by Fe modified Cu supported on attapulgite clay
- 32 Downloads
A series of Cu catalysts supported on attapulgite (ATP) clay modified by Fe were synthesized by impregnation method and employed to investigate the catalytic performance for hydrogen production by methanol steam reforming (MSR) in the range of 240–315 °C. The physicochemical characteristics of Fe modified Cu catalysts supported on ATP were tested by N2 adsorption, XRD, SEM, H2-TPR, CO2-TPD and NH3-TPD. An excellent MSR activity, high methanol conversion and high selectivity of H2 with ignorable CO content, was achieved on Fe modified Cu/ATP catalysts. The presence of Fe promotes the reduction of CuO to metal Cu and improves the dispersion of Cu on ATP due to the synergistic effects between CuO and Fe2O3, which contribute to the high activity for MSR. ATP, as an easily available and cheap material, is a promising support of Cu-based catalysts for hydrogen production from methanol steam reforming.
KeywordsHydrogen production Methanol steam reforming Attapulgite Cu-based catalyst Synergistic effects
This research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21761132006). The authors also acknowledge the Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions (Grant No. 12KJB530001), the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions (PAPD) for the financial support.
- 3.Lytkina AA, Zhilyaeva NA, Ermilova MM, Orekhova NV, Yaroslavtsev AB (2015) Influence of the support structure and composition of Ni–Cu-based catalysts on hydrogen production by methanol steam reforming. Int J Hydrogen Energy 40(31):9677–9684. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.05.094 Google Scholar
- 16.Barbosa RL, Papaefthimiou V, Law YT, Teschner D, Hävecker M, Knop-Gericke A, Zapf R, Kolb G, Schlögl R, Zafeiratos S (2013) Methanol steam reforming over indium-promoted Pt/Al2O3 catalyst: nature of the active surface. J Phys Chem C 117(12):6143–6150. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp309401q Google Scholar
- 21.He J, Yang Z, Zhang L, Li Y, Pan L (2017) Cu supported on ZnAl-LDHs precursor prepared by in situ synthesis method on γ-Al2O3 as catalytic material with high catalytic activity for methanol steam reforming. Int J Hydrogen Energy 42(15):9930–9937. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2017.01.229 Google Scholar
- 23.Sanches SG, Huertas Flores J, da Silva MIP (2017) Influence of aging time on the microstructural characteristics of a Cu/ZnO-based catalyst prepared by homogeneous precipitation for use in methanol steam reforming. React Kinet Mech Catal 121(2):473–485. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11144-017-1161-7 Google Scholar
- 25.Maiti S, Llorca J, Dominguez M, Colussi S, Trovarelli A, Priolkar KR, Aquilanti G, Gayen A (2016) Combustion synthesized copper-ion substituted FeAl2O4 (Cu0.1Fe0.9Al2O4): a superior catalyst for methanol steam reforming compared to its impregnated analogue. J Power Sources 304:319–331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2015.11.066 Google Scholar
- 32.Yang S-C, Su W-N, Lin SD, Rick J, Cheng J-H, Liu J-Y, Pan C-J, Liu D-G, Lee J-F, Chan T-S, Sheu H-S, Hwang B-J (2011) Preparation of nano-sized Cu from a rod-like CuFe2O4: suitable for high performance catalytic applications. Appl Catal B 106(3–4):650–656. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2011.06.030 Google Scholar
- 34.Baneshi J, Haghighi M, Jodeiri N, Abdollahifar M, Ajamein H (2014) Homogeneous precipitation synthesis of CuO–ZrO2–CeO2–Al2O3 nanocatalyst used in hydrogen production via methanol steam reforming for fuel cell applications. Energy Convers Manage 87:928–937. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2014.07.058 Google Scholar
- 42.Li L, Chen F, Shao J, Dai Y, Ding J, Tang Z (2016) Attapulgite clay supported Ni nanoparticles encapsulated by porous silica: thermally stable catalysts for ammonia decomposition to COx free hydrogen. Int J Hydrogen Energy 41(46):21157–21165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2016.08.156 Google Scholar
- 45.Lustemberg PG, Bosco MV, Bonivardi A, Busnengo HF, Ganduglia-Pirovano MV (2015) Insights into the nature of formate species in the decomposition and reaction of methanol over cerium oxide surfaces: a combined infrared spectroscopy and density functional theory study. J Phys Chem C 119(37):21452–21464. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b05070 Google Scholar
- 50.Ratnasamy P, Srinivas D, Satyanarayana CVV, Manikandan P, Senthil Kumaran RS, Sachin M, Shetti VN (2004) Influence of the support on the preferential oxidation of CO in hydrogen-rich steam reformates over the CuO–CeO2–ZrO2 system. J Catal 221(2):455–465. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcat.2003.09.006 Google Scholar
- 60.Ballarini A, Basile F, Benito P, Bersani I, Fornasari G, de Miguel S, Maina SCP, Vilella J, Vaccari A, Scelza OA (2012) Platinum supported on alkaline and alkaline earth metal-doped alumina as catalysts for dry reforming and partial oxidation of methane. Appl Catal A 433–434:1–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcata.2012.04.037 Google Scholar