Electrostatic Problems with a Rational Constraint and Degenerate Lamé Equations
- 18 Downloads
In this note we extend the classical relation between the equilibrium configurations of unit movable point charges in a plane electrostatic field created by these charges together with some fixed point charges and the polynomial solutions of a corresponding Lamé differential equation. Namely, we find similar relation between the equilibrium configurations of unit movable charges subject to a certain type of rational or polynomial constraint and polynomial solutions of a corresponding degenerate Lamé equation, see details below. In particular, the standard linear differential equations satisfied by the classical Hermite and Laguerre polynomials belong to this class. Besides these two classical cases, we present a number of other examples including some relativistic orthogonal polynomials and linear differential equations satisfied by those.
KeywordsElectrostatic equilibrium Lamé differential equation
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)Primary 31C10 33C45
The authors are sincerely grateful to the anonymous referees for their careful reading of the initial version of the manuscript and helpful suggestions. The second author is grateful to Universidade Estadual Paulista for the hospitality and excellent research atmosphere during his visit to São José do Rio Preto in July 2017.
- 1.Dimitrov, D.K.: A late report on interlacing of zeros of polynomials. In: Nikolov, G., Uluchev, R. (eds.) Constructive Theory of Functions, Sozopol 2010: in Memory of Borislav Bojanov, pp. 69–79. Marin Drinov Academic Publishing House, Sofia (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Gunning, R.C., Hugo, R.: Analytic Functions of Several Complex Variables, Prentice-Hall Series in Modern Analysis, pp. xiv+ 317. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1965)Google Scholar
- 5.Klein, F.: Über die Nullstellen von den Polynomen und den Potenzreihen, Göttingen, pp. 211–218 (1894)Google Scholar
- 6.Korevaar, J., Wiegerinck, J.: Several complex variables, version November 18, 2011, p. 260. https://staff.fnwi.uva.nl/j.j.o.o.wiegerinck/edu/scv/scv1.pdf
- 8.Lundengrd, K., Österberg, J., Silvestrov, S.: Extreme points of the Vandermonde determinant on the sphere and some limits involving the generalized Vandermonde determinant, arXiv:1312.6193
- 9.Lundengrd, K.: Generalized Vandermonde matrices and determinants in electromagnetic compatibility. Mälardalen University Press Licentiate Theses 253, 157 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Szegő, G.: Orthogonal Polynomials, 4th edn., Amer. Math. Soc. Coll. Publ., vol. 23, Providence RI (1975)Google Scholar
- 14.Varchenko, A.: Multidimensional Hypergeometric Functions the Representation Theory of Lie Algebras and Quantum Groups. World Scientific Publishing CompanyGoogle Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.