Indirect estimation of interregional freight flows with a real-valued genetic algorithm
- 90 Downloads
This paper introduces a method for estimating the interregional transportation of certain commodities in those cases where the commodity flows are not readily available and only aggregated flows per origin-destination pair are provided. We use a doubly-constrained gravity model to find a matrix of aggregated flows that is as similar as possible to the available data, in the sense of the standardized root mean square error. This model is calibrated via a real-valued genetic algorithm that uses a combination of global and local searches to find a set of optimal parameters of the deterrence function under study in the gravity model. This method is introduced as an application to estimating the disaggregated flows of ten different products among the fifteen regions of peninsular Spain between 2007 and 2016. After testing several formulations, we conclude that an exponential deterrence function calibrated with data from 2010 is as effective to estimate the flows in this 10-year span as other more complex options, which emphasizes the time transferability of our model.
KeywordsTransport modeling Metaheuristics Logistics Spatial analysis
Javier Rubio-Herrero: Literature search and review, manuscript writing, statistical tests, and optimization methods. Jesús Muñuzuri: Literature search and review, manuscript writing.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics (2017a) Freight facts & figures 2017. URL https://www.bts.gov/bts-publications/freight-facts-and-figures/freight-facts-figures-2017-chapter-2-freight-moved, [Online; Accessed 18 June 2018]
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics (2017b) Freight facts & figures 2017—Chapter 2: freight moved in domestic and international trade. Table 2-1, Weight of shipments by transportation mode. URL https://www.bts.gov/bts-publications/freight-facts-and-figures/freight-facts-figures-2017-chapter-2-freight-moved, [Online; Accessed 29 Nov 2018]
- Cascetta, E., Marzano, V., Papola, A.: Multi-regional input-output models for freight demand simulation at a national level. In: Ben-Akiva, M., Meersman, H., Voorde, E.V.D. (eds.) Recent Developments in Transport Modelling: Lessons for the Freight Sector, pp. 93–116. Emerald Group Publishing Limited (2008)Google Scholar
- Dréo, J., Pétrowski, A., Siarry, P., Taillard, E.: Metaheuristics for hard optimization: methods and case studies. Springer, Berlin (2006)Google Scholar
- Eurostat (n.d.) Freight transport statistics. URL http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Freight_transport_statistics, [Online; Accessed 18 June 2018]
- Furness, K.: Time function iteration. Traffic Eng. Control 7(7), 458–460 (1965)Google Scholar
- Haupt, R.L., Haupt, S.E.: Practical Genetic Algorithms. Wiley (2004)Google Scholar
- Jebari, K., Madiafi, M.: Selection methods for genetic algorithms. Int. J. Emerg. Sci. 3(4), 333–344 (2013)Google Scholar
- Kapur, J.N.: Maximum-Entropy Models in Science and Engineering. Wiley, Hoboken (1989)Google Scholar
- Mao, S., Demetsky, M.J.: Calibration of the gravity model for truck freight flow distribution. Pennsylvania Transportation Institute, Pennsylvania State University, Technical Report (2002)Google Scholar
- Ministerio de Fomento - Secretaría General Técnica (2016) Los Transportes y las Infraestructuras. Informe anual 2015. URL https://www.fomento.gob.es/AZ.BBMF.Web/documentacion/pdf/M-642_2015.pdf, [Online; Accessed 15 July 2019]
- Ministerio de Fomento de España (2008) Estudio de costes del transporte de mercancías por carretera. URL https://www.fomento.gob.es/NR/rdonlyres/D12A4405-3DE8-4D87-8F06-8CED0E11DD3E/40278/EstudioCostesMercanciasCarreteraoctubre2008.pdf, [Online; Accessed 18 June 2018]
- Shrewsbury, J.S.: Calibration of trip distribution by generalised linear models. New Zealand Transport Agency Research Report, 473 (2012)Google Scholar
- Wikimedia Commons: File:Comunidades autónomas de España.svg — Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository. URL https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Comunidades_aut%C3%B3nomas_de_Espa%C3%B1a.svg&oldid=236275380, [Online; Accessed 29 Nov 2018] (2017)