Crystal Balls and Cooling Ponds: An Insight into Financial Forecasting and Funding Problems of the Nuclear Legacy
Globally, ageing civilian nuclear plant and their toxic wastes are in need of decommissioning and disposal as operational lives end. In the UK, a legacy (DTI 2002) of such plant has emerged from an embryonic nuclear industry that initially prospered but ultimately failed. This legacy’s estimated financial forecasts and liabilities are increasing while no sustainable funding solution is in place. Using a historical analytical approach, the paper aims to identify uncontained financial matters and in the context of this industry to determine if the application of accounting conventions is appropriate. Possible solutions that may have relevance to other nuclear nations are suggested forming the papers primary contribution.
KeywordsNuclear provisions Discounting Forecasting Funding Decommissioning
- Aubrey, C. (1991). Melt down: the collapse of the nuclear dream. London: Collins and Brown. mecury house 195 Knightsbridge London. ISBN 1 855850176.Google Scholar
- Blowers, A., and Pepper, D. (1987) Nuclear power in crisis. Nicolson Publishing.Google Scholar
- BNFL (2000) Annual Report and Accounts. Cumbria, BNFL: 1–80.Google Scholar
- BNFL (2002/3). Annual report and accounts. ‘Reaching new horizons’. Warrington: British Nuclear Fuels plc 1100 Daresbury Park Daresbury Warrington WA4 4GB. www.bnfl.com.
- Bolter, H. (1996) Inside Sellafield, quartet books. First edition (March 1, 1996). ISBN-10: 070438017X.Google Scholar
- Bolton, P. (2012). Nuclear energy statistics. London: House of Commons Library. SN/SG/3631 23 March 2012.Google Scholar
- Business Enterprise Committee (2007–08). Funding the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority. The Stationery Office. (HC394), available at: www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmselect/cmberr/394/394.pdf. Accessed 2/6/14 at 2:45PM.
- Caldicott, H. (2006). Nuclear power is not the answer. New York: The New Press ISBN: 978–1–59558-067-2.Google Scholar
- Comptroller and Auditor General (2008). The Nuclear Decommissioning Authority: Taking forward decommissioning. ISBN: 9780102951974. HC: 238 2007–2008. Available from: www.nao.org.uk/report/the-nuclear-decommissioning-authority-taking-forward-decommissioning/, accessed 2/6/14 at 3:25pm.
- Connor (2012). The Independent, Wednesday, 30th May 2012. Sellafield “needs extra £276 million of taxpayer”s money to complete UK”s biggest nuclear construction project”. Available at: www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/, accessed 31.5.12 at 13:48.
- Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) (2011). Speech by the Rt hon Chris Huhne MP to the Royal Society: Why the future of nuclear power will be different. January 2012. Available at: www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-rt-hon-chris-huhne-mp-speech-to-the-royal-society-why-the-future-of-nuclear-power-will-be-different, Accessed 26th March 2013 at 12:00 noon.
- Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) (2002). White Paper: Managing the Nuclear Legacy – a Strategy for Action. Google Scholar
- Dorfman, P. (2013). The ecologist. Legal challenges to new nuclear: can we trust government. Available at: www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/2006847/legal_challenges_to_new_nuclear_can_we_trust_government.html. Accessed 19 July 2013.
- Durie, S., & Edwards, R. (1982). Fuelling the nuclear arms race. London: Pluto Press Ltd.Google Scholar
- Energy Act (2004), Elizabeth II. C20. ISBN 0 10 5420042 Available from www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/20/contents. Accessed 2/6/2014 at 4:20pm.
- Flowers Report (1976). Royal Commission, Sixth Report: Nuclear Power and the Environment. (Cmnd6618). Available at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C303792, accessed 2/6/2014 at 3:15pm.
- Ford Foundation (1977). Nuclear power choices. Report of the nuclear energy policy study group. Cambridge: Mitre Corporation.Google Scholar
- Hansard (2013). 7th February 2013 debate on Nuclear Power. The 24th Report from the PAC on Nuclear Decommissioning Authority: Managing Risk at Sellafield. HC 746. Col 459–484.Google Scholar
- HM Treasury (2013). Managing public money. ISBN 978–1–910835-51-7 PU1805. See www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/454191/Managing_Public_Money_AA_v2_-jan15.pdf. Accessed 5.2.18 at 11:40 am.
- Jackson, I. (2008). Nukenomics, Nuclear Engineering International 2008, 114 pp. Nuclear Engineering International Publications, 2 Maidstone Road, Foots Cray, Sidcup, Kent DA14 5HZ, Great Britain; ISBN 978-1-903077-55-9.Google Scholar
- Keep (2017). Public Sector Finance Statistics. Number 05745 20th October 2017. Available from the house of commons library. Office for national statistics and Office for Budget Responsibility.Google Scholar
- Macalister, T. (2013). UK”s nuclear clean-up programme to cost billions more than expected. The Guardian, 23rd June 2013. Terry Macalister. See www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/jun/23/britain-nuclear-atomic-clean-up-decommissioning, accessed 26th June 2013 at 15:46.
- Marley, W.G. (1956). The control of radiological hazards in the future development of atomic energy. Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Harwell. Papers read at the Annual Congress of the British Institute of Radiology, December 1955. Google Scholar
- National Audit Office. (2012). Managing risk reduction at Sellafield. A report by the comptroller and auditor general. HC, 630, 2012–2013.Google Scholar
- NDA (2006/7). NDA Annual Report and Accounts. Laid before Houses of Parliament 9th October 2007. HC/1001.Google Scholar
- NDA (2008a). Annual Plan 2007–8, NDA. See www.nda.gov.uk/documents/, accessed 30th May 2013 at 8:40 am.
- NDA (2008b) Annual report and accounts 2007/8 (p. 187). Cumbria: NDA.Google Scholar
- NDA (2008/9) Annual report and accounts 2008/2009 (p. 184). Cumbria: NDA.Google Scholar
- NDA (2009). Annual report and accounts 2009/10. Cumbria: NDA. See: www.nda.
- NDA (2014/15). Nuclear Decommissioning Authority Annual Report & Accounts Financial Year: April 2014 to March 2015. HC197.Google Scholar
- NDA (2015). Nuclear Provision - explaining the cost of cleaning up Britain”s nuclear legacy. See www.gov.uk/government/publications/nuclear-provision-explaining-the-cost-of-cleaning-up-britains-nuclear-legacy/nuclear-provision-explaining-the-cost-of-cleaning-up-britains-nuclear-legacy. Accessed 23.11.17 at 12 noon.
- NDA (2016/17). NDA Annual Report and Accounts. HC/ 269. Report presented to Parliament pursuant to Section 14 (6) of the Energy Act 2004 and Accounts presented to Parliament pursuant to Section 26 (10) of the Energy Act 2004. Ordered by the House of Commons to be printed on 19 July 2017.Google Scholar
- Newbery, D. M. (1999). The UK experience: privatization with market power. Cambridge: Department of Applied Economics. See: www.eprg.org.uk/faculty/newbery/files/ceprelec.pdf.
- Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) (2004/5). (Note NDA documents are generally available from their web site See: www.nda.gov.uk/documents/) Annual Report and Accounts. Cumbria, Nuclear Decommissioning Authority: 48.
- Nuclear Sites and Radioactive Substances Bill. (2003). Elizabeth II. London: The Stationery Office available at www.parliament.uk/business/bills-and-legislation/draft-bills/previous-sessions/draftbills-0203/.Google Scholar
- Pagnamenta, R. (2008). Government failing to fund UK”s nuclear clean up, says MP”s. London: The Times.Google Scholar
- Pemberton (2016a). Corporate Governance and the Nuclear Industry. B C Pemberton Published 2016. Routeledge, 711 third avenue New York.Google Scholar
- Pemberton. (2016b). B C Pemberton. Corporate Governance and the Nuclear Industry. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. 2 Park Sq. Milton Park.Google Scholar
- Public Accounts Committee. (2008). Nuclear Decommissioning Authority-Taking Forward Decommissioning. BERR London: House of Commons. Thirty–eighth Report of Session 2007–08. (HC 370) Published on 10 July 2008.Google Scholar
- The International Structure for Decommissioning Costing (2012). (ISDC) of Nuclear Installations. OECD, See: www.oecd.org/publications/international-structure-for-decommissioning-costing-isdc-of-nuclear-installations-9789264991736-en.htm. Accessed 22/11/17 at 3 30pm.
- Thomas, S. (2004). The UK Nuclear Decommissioning Authority. London: Public Services International Research Unit (PSIRU).Google Scholar
- Winskel, M. (2002). "Autonomy”s end: Nuclear power and the privatization of the British ESI." Social Studies of Science, 32(3), 439–467.Google Scholar
- WNN (2017). World Nuclear News. 3/10/2017. Addressing Uncertainties in decommissioning cost estimates. See www.world-nuclear-news.org/V-Addressing-uncertainties-in-decommissioning-cost-estimates-03101701.html. Accessed October 2017 at 3:30 pm.