Identification of Genes Involved in Flavonoid Biosynthesis of Chinese Narcissus (Narcissus tazetta L. var. chinensis)
- 203 Downloads
Chinese narcissus (Narcissus tazetta L. var. chinensis Roem.) is a popular flower in Asia. However, flower colors are limited with all cultivars having a white perianth and yellow corona. Previous studies have shown no anthocyanin accumulation in this species. The reason for an absence of anthocyanins remains unknown, with the flavonoid biosynthetic pathway in this flower recently being investigated. In this study, a transcriptomic approach combined with gene expression and biochemical analysis was used to predict and annotate genes in the flavonoid biosynthetic pathway. Results showed that the major flavonoid metabolites are flavonols and proanthocyanidins. Proanthocyanidin biosynthesis is exclusively catechin-based, with the gene encoding leucoanthocyanidin reductase (LAR) being well expressed. We identified 16 unigenes encoding key enzymes involved in flavonoid biosynthesis. Flavonol synthase (FLS) and dihydroflavonol reductase (DFR) appear to play important roles in regulating proanthocyanidin and flavonol levels, while anthocyanidin synthase (ANS) expression is not detected. Our results suggest that the absence of anthocyanins in Chinese narcissus is due to high expression of LAR and FLS, and a lack of ANS expression.
KeywordsChinese narcissus Flavonoid metabolic pathway Structural genes Anthocyanin
This work was supported by Fujian Natural Science Fund, China (No. 2016J01109) and Fujian Agriculture and Forestry University International Scientific and Technological Exchange and Cooperation Project, China (Kxb16013A).
- Afendi FM, Okada T, Yamazaki, M, Hirai-Morita A, Nakamura Y, Nakamura K, Ikeda S, Takahashi H, Altaf-Ul-Amin M, Darusman LK, et al. (2012) KNApSAcK family databases: integrated metabolite-plant species databases for multifaceted plant research. Plant Cell Physiol 53:e1. https://doi.org/10.1093/pcp/pcr165
- Chen XQ, Wu YX (1991) Additional notes on Chinese sacred lily, with a discussion with Mr. Lu. J Wuhan Bot Res 9:70–74. (in chinese)Google Scholar
- Grabherr MG, Haas BJ, Yassour M, Levin JZ, Thompson DA, Amit I, Adiconis X, Fan L, Raychowdhury R, Zeng Q, Chen Z, Mauceli E, Hacohen N, Gnirke A, Rhind N, di Palma F, Birren BW, Nusbaum C, Lindblad-Toh K, Friedman N, Regev A (2011) Full-length transcriptome assembly from RNA-Seq data without a reference genome. Nat Biotechnol 29:644–652CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li X, Lu M, Tang DQ, Shi YM (2015) Composition of carotenoids and flavonoids in narcissus cultivars and their relationship with flower color. PLoS One. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0142074
- Ren Y, Yang J, Lu B, Jiang Y, Chen Y et al (2017) Structure of pigment metabolic pathways and their contributions to white tepal color formation of Chinese Narcissus tazetta var. chinensis cv Jinzhanyintai. Int J Mol Sci 18(9):1923. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18091923 CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zeng YF, Zhang HP, Wen C, Zeng LH (2012) Carotenoid pigment components and carotenogenic gene expression in Zhangzhou narcissus(Narcissus tazetta var. chinensis). Chin J Trop Crops 33:1–7 (in chinese)Google Scholar