Sequestration of Mn into the cell wall contributes to Mn tolerance in sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.)
- 89 Downloads
Sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.) grown on acid soils suffers serious chlorosis resulting from excess manganese (Mn). We explored the mechanisms underlying sugarcane tolerance to excess Mn.
Seedlings of genotypes YC96–66 (66) and YC58–21 (21) were cultured hydroponically with MnCl2, then Mn effects on leaf chlorophyll concentration, Mn subcellular distribution, cell wall polysaccharides were determined. A Mn adsorption kinetics assay was also conducted to examine the association of Mn-induced pectin modification with Mn-binding to cell walls.
Excess Mn caused significant dose- and time-dependent decrease in chlorophyll, with serious chlorosis in genotype 21 compared to 66. Genotype 66 absorbed more Mn and maintained higher leaf Mn, with greater proportions of Mn retained in cell walls. Up to 93.2% and 90.0% of cell wall-bound Mn was found in the pectin fraction in genotype 66 and 21, respectively. Mn induced pectin accumulation and pectin methylesterase activation, along with a decrease in the degree of pectin methylesterification, which thereby enhanced cell wall Mn-binding capacity in genotype 66. In contrast, no remarkable change was observed in genotype 21.
Mn-induced pectin accumulation, pectin demethylesterification and subsequent sequestration of Mn into the cell wall contribute to Mn tolerance in the sugarcane.
KeywordsCell wall Chlorosis Mn Mn-sequestration Pectin Sugarcane
This study is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant No.31260497, 31660593), Guangxi Natural Science Foundation (grant No. 2016GXNSFDA380038) and the Innovation Project of Guangxi Graduate Education (YCBZ2017013, YCSW2018039).
- Chen Z, Fujii Y, Yamaji N, Masuda S, Takemoto Y, Kamiya T, Yusuyin Y, Iwasaki K, Kato S, Maeshima M, Ma JF, Ueno D (2013) Mn tolerance in rice is mediated by MTP8.1, a member of the cation diffusion facilitator family. J Exp Bot 64:4375–4387. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/ert243 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Colzi I, Arnetoli M, Gallo A, Doumett S, Del Bubba M, Pignattelli S, Gabbrielli R, Gonnelli C (2012) Copper tolerance strategies involving the root cell wall pectins in Silene paradoxa L. Environ Exp Bot 78:91–98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2011.12.028
- Foy CD, Chaney RL, White MC (1978) The physiology of metal toxicity in plants. Ann Rev Plant Physiol 29:511–566. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pp.29.060178.002455 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fuhrs H, Behrens C, Gallien S, Heintz D, Van Dorsselaer A, Braun HP, Horst WJ (2010) Physiological and proteomic characterization of manganese sensitivity and tolerance in rice (Oryza sativa) in comparison with barley (Hordeum vulgare). Ann Bot 105:1129–1140. https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mcq046
- Horst WJ, Fecht M, Naumann A, Wissemeier AH, Maier P (1999) Physiology of manganese toxicity and tolerance in Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp. J Plant Nutr Soil Sc 162:263–274. https://doi.org/10.1002/(Sici)1522-2624(199906)162:3<263::Aid-Jpln263>3.0.Co;2-A CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li XW, Liu JY, Fang J, Tao L, Shen RF, Li YL, Xiao HD, Feng YM, Wen HX, Guan JH, Wu LS, He YM, Goldbach HE, Yu M (2017) Boron supply enhances aluminum tolerance in root border cells of pea (Pisum sativum) by interacting with cell wall pectins. Front Plant Sci 8:742. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2017.00742 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oikawa PY, Giebel BM, Sternberg Lda S, Li L, Timko MP, Swart PK, Riemer DD, Mak JE, Lerdau MT (2011) Leaf and root pectin methylesterase activity and 13C/12C stable isotopic ratio measurements of methanol emissions give insight into methanol production in Lycopersicon esculentum. New Phytol 191:1031–1040. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03770.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sheng H, Zeng J, Liu Y, Wang X, Wang Y, Kang H, Fan X, Sha L, Zhang H, Zhou Y (2016) Sulfur mediated alleviation of Mn toxicity in polish wheat relates to regulating Mn allocation and improving antioxidant system. Front Plant Sci 7:1382. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.01382 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Takemoto Y, Tsunemitsu Y, Fujii-Kashino M, Mitani-Ueno N, Yamaji N, Ma JF, Kato SI, Iwasaki K, Ueno D (2017) The tonoplast-localized transporter MTP8.2 contributes to manganese detoxification in the shoots and roots of Oryza sativa L. Plant Cell Physiol 58:1573–1582. https://doi.org/10.1093/pcp/pcx082 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zheng SJ, Lin XY, Yang JL, Liu Q, Tang CX (2004) The kinetics of aluminum adsorption and desorption by root cell walls of an aluminum resistant wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) cultivar. Plant Soil 261:85–90. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:PLSO.0000035576.71760.2b CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhu XF, Wang ZW, Dong F, Lei GJ, Shi YZ, Li GX, Zheng SJ (2013) Exogenous auxin alleviates cadmium toxicity in Arabidopsis thaliana by stimulating synthesis of hemicellulose 1 and increasing the cadmium fixation capacity of root cell walls. J Hazard Mater 263:398–403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2013.09.018 CrossRefGoogle Scholar