Overuse of intravenous infusions in China: focusing on management platform and cultural problems
- 92 Downloads
This article reviews the current status of the overuse of intravenous (IV) infusions in China and implications to patient safety, and analyzes factors associated with the overuse. Although many factors contribute to the overuse of IV infusions in China, we focus on the construction of an IV infusion management system and tackling cultural problems as the first step to address issues of IV therapy in this commentary.
KeywordsChina Cultural problems Infusion management platform Intravenous infusions Overuse Rational use
The authors received no funding in connection with the paper.
Conflicts of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 2.Wang H, Xie X, Liu Z, Yang Z. Evaluation of the inpatient usage of intravenous infusion in 156 hospitals. J Pharm Pract. 2017;35(6):573–6.Google Scholar
- 3.Gao X, Chen L, Deng R, Xia Y, Chen J, Chen X. Current situation, hazards and countermeasures against the overuse of intravenous infusion. Progr Pharm Sci. 2016;40(2):141–4.Google Scholar
- 6.2018 Annual Report of China’s National Report on Adverse Reaction Monitoring. https://www.cdr-adr.org.cn/xwdt/201804/t20180419_20011.html. Accessed 5 Aug 2019.
- 13.Wang D, Gong Z, Lei G. Design and practice of rational and safe intravenous infusion integration management. Chin Hosp. 2018;22(8):57–8.Google Scholar
- 14.National Clinical Guideline Centre (UK). Intravenous fluid therapy in adults in hospital. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg174. Accessed 5 Aug 2019.
- 15.Zeng S, Chen X, Liu W, Yin T, Gong Z. Medication analysis of intravenous infusion in critically ill patients in a hospital. Chin Hosp Pharm J. 2018;38(16):1750–4.Google Scholar
- 16.Zeng S, Wang D, Liu W, Gong Z. Integration management practice of rational and safe infusion based on the “medicine–pharmacy–nursing” monitor-control and early warning system. Chin Hosp Pharm J. 2019;39(7):98–103.Google Scholar
- 18.Basic Principles for Clinical Use for TCM injections. https://www.gov.cn/gzdt/2009-01/21/content_1211475.htm. Accessed 5 Aug 2019.