Role of pharmacists in antimicrobial stewardship programmes
- 313 Downloads
Antimicrobial resistance is a growing public health problem of global concern and, unless action is taken, the burden of death could reach 10 million per year by 2050. Resistance has been associated with increasing mortality, treatment failure and healthcare costs. In order to help combat this, antimicrobial stewardship programmes, have been implemented in many countries. These stewardship programmes can help, reduce inappropriate prescription and broad-spectrum use of antimicrobials, improve, clinical outcomes for the population as a whole, slow down the emergence of antimicrobial resistance and conserve healthcare resources. Pharmacists are an integral part of the stewardship team and have an important role in tackling antimicrobial resistance. This article aims to review the role of pharmacists within antimicrobial stewardship programmes and the opportunities for pharmacist-driven antimicrobial stewardship strategies in hospital and community settings.
KeywordsAntimicrobial stewardship programmes Antimicrobials Diseases Infectious Pharmacists
Medical writing and editorial assistance was funded by Merck Sharp and Dohme, Zürich, Switzerland, and provided by Christina Campbell, PhD, of PAREXEL.
Financial support for this study was provided by Merck Sharp and Dohme, Zürich, Switzerland to support medical writing and editorial assistance.
Conflicts of interest
Dr. Bassetti reports grants and personal fees from MSD and Pfizer and personal fees from Astellas, Menarini and Angelini outside the submitted work. Dr. Garau reports grants and personal fees from Astellas, AstraZeneca, Bayer, Novartis, Pfizer, Vifor Pharma, grants from MSD and The Medicines Company, and personal fees from Durata, GSK, Theravance, Nabriva, Menarini and Paratek outside the submitted work.
- 2.O’Neill J. Tackling drug-resistant infections globally: final report and recommendations. The review on antimicrobial resistance. 2016. http://amr-review.org/sites/default/files/160525_Final%20paper_with%20cover.pdf. Accessed 22 May 2017.
- 7.United Nations. Draft political declaration of the high-level meeting of the General Assembly on antimicrobial resistance. 2016. https://www.un.org/pga/71/wp-content/uploads/sites/40/2016/09/DGACM_GAEAD_ESCAB-AMR-Draft-Political-Declaration-1616108E.pdf. Accessed 22 May 2017.
- 9.Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America. Infectious diseases society of America, pediatric infectious diseases society. policy statement on antimicrobial stewardship by the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA), the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), and the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society (PIDS). Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012;33(4):322–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Dellit TH, Owens RC, McGowan JE Jr, Gerding DN, Weinstein RA, Burke JP, et al. Infectious diseases society of America and the society for healthcare epidemiology of America guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44(2):159–77.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Howard P, Pulcini C, Levy Hara G, West RM, Gould IM, Harbarth S, et al. An international cross-sectional survey of antimicrobial stewardship programmes in hospitals. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015;70(4):1245–55.Google Scholar
- 13.European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Proposals for EU guidelines on the prudent use of antimicrobials in humans. 2017. http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/Publications/EU-guidelines-prudent-use-antimicrobials.pdf. Accessed May 23 2017. Stockholm.
- 21.Ashiru-Oredope D, Fleming N, Ladenheim D. The role of the pharmacist in antimicrobial stewardship. Hosp Pharm Europe. 2015;(78). http://www.hospitalpharmacyeurope.com/drug-shortages/importance-becoming-antibiotic-guardian.
- 29.Doernberg SB, Dudas V, Trivedi KK. Implementation of an antimicrobial stewardship program targeting residents with urinary tract infections in three community long-term care facilities: a quasi-experimental study using time-series analysis. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2015;4:54.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.ASHP. ASHP Statement on the pharmacist’s role in antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention and control. 2013. Medication Therapy and Patient Care: Specific Practice Areas-Statements. https://www.ashp.org/-/media/assets/policy-guidelines/docs/statements-pharmacists-role-antimicrobial-stewardship.ashx. Accessed 18 Sept 2017.
- 32.Kokta N. Antimicrobial stewardship: how the community pharmacist can help. Inside Pharmacy. 2017;5(1). http://www.insidepatientcare.com/issues/2017/january-2017-vol-5-no-1/452-antimicrobial-stewardship-how-the-community-pharmacist-can-help.
- 33.International Pharmaceutical Federation. Fighting antimicrobial resistance: the contribution of pharmacsists. https://www.fip.org/files/fip/publications/2015-11-Fighting-antimicrobial-resistance.pdf. Accessed 18 Sept 2017. The Hague.