Terminology, the importance of defining
- 680 Downloads
Multiple terms and definitions exist to describe specific aspects of pharmacy practice and service provision. This commentary explores the reasons for different interpretations of words and concepts in pharmaceutical care and pharmacy practice research. Reasons for this variation can be found in language, culture, profession and may also depend on developments over time. A list of words is provided where the authors think that currently multiple interpretations are possible. To make sure that the reader understands the essence, it seems imperative that authors include a definition of the topics that they actually study in their papers, and that they clearly cite existing definitions or refer to collections of definitions such as existing glossaries. It is important that presenters, authors and reviewers of pharmacy practice papers pay more attention to this aspect of describing studies.
KeywordsPharmacy practice Research Terminology Translation
Conflicts of interest
- 2.WHO. Preamble to the Constitution of the World Health Organization as adopted by the International Health Conference, New York, 19–22 June 1946, and entered into force on 7 April 1948.Google Scholar
- 4.Awofeso N. Re-defining health. http://www.who.int/bulletin/bulletin_board/83/ustun11051/en/. Last Accessed 26 Dec 2015.
- 5.Charter professionalism of the pharmacist. KNMP, the Hague, 2012. https://www.knmp.nl/praktijkvoering/professionaliteit/handvest-van-de-apotheker-1/charter-professionalism-of-the-pharmacist/at_download/file_1. Last Accessed 20 Dec 2015.
- 9.Pharmaceutisch Weekblad-Nieuws. UMCG participeert in apotheek aan A15 [UMCG participates in pharmacy aling the A15]. 20-2-2015 http://www.pw.nl/nieuws/nieuwsberichten/2015/umcg-participeert-in-apotheek-a15. Last Accesses 26 Dec 2015.
- 13.Van Mil JWF. Pharmaceutical care, the future of pharmacy [Dissertation]. Groningen, Groningen University, 1999. Chapter 8: the chances for pharmaceutical care. p. 152–153.Google Scholar
- 14.European Union of Medical Specialities. http://www.uems.eu/about-us/presentation. Last Accessed 16 Mar 2016.
- 16.Mikael RL, Brown TR, Lazarus HL, Vinson MC. Quality of pharmaceutical care in hospitals. Am J Hosp Pharm. 1975;32:567–74.Google Scholar
- 22.NHS Choices. Counselling. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Counselling/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Last Accessed 14 Jan 2016.
- 27.International Pharmaceutical Federation. FIP and patient safety glossary of terms. http://www.fip.org/files/fip/FIP%20and%20PATIENT%20SAFETY%20GLOSSARY%20for%20web.pdf. Last Accessed 14 Jan 2016.