Bevacizumab versus ranibizumab: why are we not playing the joker?
- 272 Downloads
Drug treatment for age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is an important achievement of modern medicine. The CATT Research Group in the Comparison of AMD Treatment Trial (CATT) provides data about Avastin® (bevacizumab) with comparative, randomised prospective trials [1, 2]. The CATT Research Group is among the first to bring Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER) to public interest . Moreover, as Ning Cheung and colleagues explained , anti-vascular endothelial growth (anti-VEGF) factors are preserving and restoring vision in millions of people around the world. But this great medical advance has also brought global drug development and licensing systems to public attention [2, 3, 4, 5, 6]. We present the case of medicines that are too highly priced to be affordable for all the people who need them, including the Italian National Health Service (NHS).
National decisions and laws
The off-label use of drugs is legal in North America, Europe, and Asia, and is an...
We would like to thank the collegues of the Pharmacy Department and the residents of the School of Hospital Pharmacy of Florence.
Conflicts of interest
There are no conflict of interests.
- 1.CATT Research Group, Martin DF, Maguire MG, Ying GS, Grunwald JE, Fine SL, Jaffe GJ. Ranibizumab and bevacizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. N Engl J Med. 2011;364(20):1897–908. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1102673. Epub 2011 Apr 28. PubMed PMID: 21526923; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3157322.Google Scholar
- 2.Comparison of Age-related Macular Degeneration Treatments Trials (CATT) Research Group, Martin DF, Maguire MG, Fine SL, Ying GS, Jaffe GJ, Grunwald JE, Toth C, Redford M, Ferris FL 3rd. Ranibizumab and bevacizumab for treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration: two-year results. Ophthalmology. 2012;119(7):1388–98. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2012.03.053. Epub 2012 May 1. PubMed PMID: 22555112; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3389193.Google Scholar
- 6.Bowler GS, Fayers T, Gouws P. 5.7 times more expensive than liquid gold. Br J Ophthalmol. 2012;96(7):1046. Epub 2011 Nov 28.Google Scholar
- 8.Ng DS, Kwok AKh, Chan CW, Li WW. Intravitreal bevacizumab: safety of multiple doses from a single vial for consecutive patients. Hong Kong Med J. 2012;18(6):488–95. PubMed PMID: 23223649.Google Scholar
- 9.Paul M, Vieillard V, Roumi E, Cauvin A, Despiau MC, Laurent M, Astier A. Long-term stability of bevacizumab repackaged in 1 mL polypropylene syringes for intravitreal administration. Ann Pharm Fr. 2012;70(3):139–54. doi: 10.1016/j.pharma.2012.03.006. Epub 2012 May 11. PubMed PMID: 22655582.
- 10.Gonzalez S, Rosenfeld PJ, Stewart MW, Brown J, Murphy SP. Avastin doesn’t blind people, people blind people. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012;153(2):196–203.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2011.11.023. PubMed PMID: 22264942.
- 12.Georgalas I, Koutsandrea C. Avastin versus Lucentis. Approve bevacizumab for use in eye disease in cash strapped times. BMJ. 2012;345:e3162. (2 May).Google Scholar
- 13.Montastruc JL. Social pharmacology: a new topic in clinical pharmacology. Therapie. 2002;57(5):420–6. Review. French. PubMed PMID: 12611195.Google Scholar
- 14.Garattini S, Bertelè V. Bevacizumab and ranibizumab. Matter of public interest. Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Milano. BMJ. 2010;341:c372.Google Scholar
- 15.McCartney M. Off-label prescribing in macular degeneration. BMJ 2011; 343:d6778.Google Scholar
- 16.Lucentis versus Avastin: needs must or devil drives? Bandolier “Evidence based thinking about health care” May 2007;159–5. http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band159/b159-5.htlm