A qualitative glimpse at pharmaceutical care practice
- 195 Downloads
This manuscript presents an argument for a broader use of qualitative methodologies to investigate the practice and the surroundings of pharmaceutical care. Albeit the use of qualitative research methods is growing in the health care field, it is still insufficient in the area of pharmaceutical care. Pharmaceutical care, as a patient-centered practice, calls for a more comprehensive and humanistic approach to research. It is our contention that the attempt to understand pharmaceutical care practice from the perspective of patients, pharmacists and other health care professionals, by means of using qualitative methods, would notably contribute to a better assessment of the value of pharmaceutical care programs in the health care system. Moreover, because a deeper understanding of the nuances of this practice can be achieved with the use of qualitative methods, this approach might also assist us in making the necessary changes to create more effective pharmaceutical care practices.
KeywordsPharmaceutical care Pharmacy practice Qualitative research Qualitative methodology
Conflicts of interest statement
There is no conflict of interest.
- 1.Sarfatti M. The rise of professionalism: a sociological analysis. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press; 1977. ISBN 0520029380.Google Scholar
- 4.Faus MJ. Pharmaceutical care as a response to a social need. Ars Pharmaceutica. 2000;41:137–43.Google Scholar
- 6.Isetts BJ. Evaluating effectiveness of the Minnesota medication therapy management care program: final report. University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy; 2007. http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/groups/business_partners/documents/pub/dhs16_140283.pdf. Accessed 25 Aug 2009.
- 9.Acción Internacional para la Salud (AIS) [International Action for Health]. ¿Social Pharmacy? The chronic ill. Bulletin AIS-LAC No. 7; (updated 2003, October; cited 2009 Feb 3) Available from: http://www.aislac.org . Accessed 03 Feb 2009.
- 11.Pérez C. Sobre la metodologia cualitativa [On qualitative methodology]. Rev Esp Salud Pública. 2002;76:373–80.Google Scholar
- 13.Kairuz T, Crump K, O’Brien A. Perspectives on qualitative research. Part I: an overview of qualitative research. Pharm J. 2007;277:312–4.Google Scholar
- 15.Tulip SC, Cheung P, Campbell D, Walters P. Pharmaceutical care: cultural, practice and professional perspectives. Int J Pharm Pract. 2002;10(suppl):R93.Google Scholar
- 16.Ramalho de Oliveira D. Pharmaceutical care uncovered: an ethnographic study of pharmaceutical care practice (PhD thesis). Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota; 2003.Google Scholar
- 18.Pereira M, Ramalho de Oliveira D. Entendendo a implementação de um Serviço de Atenção Farmacêutica [Understanding the implementation of a pharmaceutical care practice]. Proceedings of the first international seminar for the implementation of pharmaceutical care in SUS; 2006 May 24–26; Brasília, Brazil.Google Scholar