Ertapenem-induced acute pancreatitis in a surgical elderly patient
- 123 Downloads
Case summary A 78-year old man was given, after surgery, 1 g ertapenem every 24 h intravenously. His clinical evolution was favorable and on day 8 ertapenem was discontinued and the patient was put on a semi-solid diet. On day 9, abdominal distension was seen accompanied by epigastric pain. The laboratory tests on day 8 showed an altered pancreatic profile: amylase = 1823 U/l (normal value: 0–100); lipase = 8045 U/l (normal value: 0–60); C-reactive protein (CRP) = 16.09 mg/dl (normal value: 0–0.5). Full Blood Count (FBC) showed leukocytosis with an increase in neutrophils and eosinophils. The prior pancreatic parameters were normal without leukocytosis. The evolution of clinical symptoms after discontinuing ertapenem was rapid. Between days 11 and 16, the laboratory parameters returned to normal values; the eosinophilia persisted longer, decreasing between days 14 and 16. Conclusions clinicians should include monitoring the development of acute pancreatitis in the safety parameters in patients undergoing treatment with this carbapenem.
KeywordsAdverse drug reaction Carbapenem Drug-induced pancreatitis Ertapenem Post Marketing security surveillance
- 3.Nix DE, Majumdar AK, DiNubile MJ. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of ertapenem: an overview for clinicians. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2004;53(S2):23–28.Google Scholar
- 4.Teppler H, Gesser RM, Friedland IR, Woods GL, Maibohm A, Herman G, et al. Safety and tolerability of ertapenem. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2004;53(S2):75–81.Google Scholar
- 5.European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal (EMEA). Product information “Invanz” [document on EMEA website]. EMEA; 2007 [updated 2007 June 15; cited 2007 Jul 30]. Available from: http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/Humans/EPAR/invanz/invanz.htm.
- 6.Food and Drug Administration (FDA). FDA approved drug product: Invanz (ertapenem for injection), (NDA) 021337 [document on FDA website]. FDA; 2007 [updated 2006 Oct 08; cited 2007 Jul 30]. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2005/021337s018lbl.pdf.
- 7.DiPiro JT. Pharmacotherapy: A pathophysiologic Approach. 5th ed. McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division; 2002. p. 701–15.Google Scholar
- 8.Kasper DL, Fauci AS, Dongo DL, Braunwald E, Hauser SL, Jameson JL, editors. Harrison. Principios de Medicina Interna. 16ª edición. McGraw-Hill Interamericana, 2005:2086–98.Google Scholar