Patient information leaflets — patients’ comprehension of information about interactions and contraindications
- 342 Downloads
To determine how well patients could correctly recognize and comprehend the various information items on patient information leaflets, and to explore the reasons underlying poor comprehensibility.
Leaflets from 30 randomly selected, commonly prescribed medicines were examined by experts using protocols to evaluate leaflet layout, language and content. The same leaflets were also evaluated by patients who had their medicines dispensed at 24 randomly selected Swedish pharmacies. A questionnaire was used for the patients’ examination.
The results showed that most information on the leaflets is sound and is well comprehended by the patients. For two information items regarding ’risks of interactions’ and ’contraindications’ the patient scores were low, indicating poor comprehensibility.
Leaflets with low scores on warnings of interactions and contraindications were found to deliver more complex messages to older patients as compared to leaflets with high scores for these items.
KeywordsContraindications Drug information Drug interactions Package inserts Patient information leaflets Sweden
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Raynor, DK. 1992Patient compliance – the pharmacist’s roleInt J Pharm Prac112635Google Scholar
- Morris, LA, Aikin, KJ. 2001The ’pharmacokinetics’ of patient communicationsDrug Inform J3550927Google Scholar
- Raynor, DK, Knapp, P. 2000Do patients see, read and retain the new mandatory medicines information leaflets?Pharm J26426070Google Scholar
- European Union Directive 92/27 EEC. www.europa.eu.int (April 14, 2004).Google Scholar
- European Union Guideline on the packing information of medical products for human use authorized by the Community. www.emea.eu.int (April 14, 2004).Google Scholar
- European Union Guideline on the readability of the label and package leaflet of medical products for human use. www.emea.eu.int (April 14, 2004).Google Scholar
- Brockmeyer, R, Steindl, L, Behrens, I, Gnekow, S, Verheyen, F, Schulz, M. 2001Testing of the readability of package inserts at a community pharmacyPharm Ind63114119Google Scholar
- Azodi, K, Himstedt, S, Hinrichs, A, Krüger, M, Schrader, S, Schulz, M. 2002Testing of the readability of package leaflets as an initial step under the pharmaceutical care initiative towards increasing the safety of medicinal productsPharm Ind64111925Google Scholar
- Gustafsson, J, Kälvemark, S, Nilsson, G, Nilsson, JLG. 2003A method to evaluate patient information leafletsDrug Inform J37115125www.diahome.org.Google Scholar
- FASS1999Läkemedel i Sverige [Specifications of drugs approved in Sweden]LIFStockholm, SwedenGoogle Scholar