Monocrystalline Quartz ICP Etching: Road to High-Temperature Dry Etching
- 44 Downloads
In this study, the dry plasma-chemical etching process of monocrystalline SiO2 (quartz) in a fluoride-based (sulfur hexafluoride, SF6) inductively coupled plasma (ICP) was investigated. The etching rate (Vetch) dependencies from the power of the ICP source, bias voltage, distances between the sample holder surface and plasma zone, and pressure in the processing chamber were determined. Additionally, the dependence of the Vetch on the sample holder temperature in a relatively large temperature range (T = 323–598 K) was investigated. The highest Vetch of greater than 1.7 μm/min was achieved at T = 450 K. The optimal process parameters were found in terms of the highest etching rate. Based on the obtained results, the basic process of a high-rate, deep (dozens of μm) anisotropic dry etching of quartz was developed with the usage of a low-powered (< 1000 W) high-frequency ICP source and relatively low bias voltages. During the deep etching process (40 μm), a Vetch = 1 μm/min was achieved. The etching selectivity ratio of the quartz substrate to the mask was approximately 50, and the side-wall inclination of the etched profiles was nearly 85°.
KeywordsICP High-rate dry etching SiO2 plasma etching SF6-based plasma
The authors are grateful to the Russian Academic Excellence Project ‘5-100-2020’ for the financial support of this study.
- 12.Madni AM, Costlow LE (2001) A third generation, highly monitored, micromachined quartz rate sensor for safety-critical vehicle stability control. In: 2001 IEEE aerospace conference proceedings (Cat. No. 01TH8542), vol 5, pp 2523–2534Google Scholar
- 14.Queste S, Courjon E, Ulliac G, Salut R, Petrini V, Rauch J, Besançon Cedex F (2008) Deep reactive ion etching of quartz, lithium niobate and lead titanate. In: JNTE proceedingsGoogle Scholar
- 15.Goyal A, Hood V, Tadigadapa S (2006) High-speed anisotropic etching of quartz using SF6/C4F8/Ar/O2 based chemistry in inductively coupled plasma reactive ion etching system. In: Proc. SPIE 6111, reliability, packaging, testing, and characterization of MEMS/MOEMS V, 61110P. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.657730
- 17.Chapellier P, Verlhac B, Lavenus P, Dulmet B (2017) DRIE of high Q-factor length-extensional mode quartz micro-resonator. In: 2017 joint conference of the European frequency and time forum and IEEE international frequency control symposium (EFTF/IFCS), pp 218–221Google Scholar
- 18.Kamijo A, Monoe S, Murayama N, et al (2014) Wafer-level quartz dry etching technology. In: 2014 IEEE international frequency control symposium (FCS). pp 1–4Google Scholar
- 20.Pedersen M, Huff M (2017) Development of process recipes for maximum mask etch selectivity and maximum etch rate having vertical sidewalls for deep, highly-anisotropic inductively-coupled plasma (ICP) etching of fused silica. ECS J Solid State Sci Technol 6:P644–P652. https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0191709jss CrossRefGoogle Scholar