Kinetic Modelling of Atmospheric Pressure Corona Discharges in Humid Air
- 34 Downloads
Corona discharge is a self-sustained discharge of gaseous medium in inhomogeneous electric fields, which often occurs on transmission lines and has some adverse effect on the power transmission system. In this paper, a kinetic model of corona discharges is presented to simulate the evolution process of charged particles and neutral species in humid air. To investigate the effect of humidity, our model consists of 69 species and 393 chemical reactions which consider important reactions containing H2O molecules and hydrates. In addition, CO2 molecules are also included to improve the integrity of reaction database. A temporal evolution of reduced electric field strengths E/N, which are typical experimental values of corona discharges, is used as input. The simulation results show that H3O+ is one of the dominant positive ions which is in qualitative agreement with previous experimental results. The effect of humidity and pulse width on the plasma chemistry is also discussed. It is found that the humidity affects the maximum density and life time of the specific species. Meanwhile, the plasma chemistry could be affected by different pulse widths of the input electric field.
KeywordsCorona discharge Humid air Kinetic modelling Global model
The research was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (51607061, 51677061) and Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (531118040072).
- 1.Maruvada PS (2000) Corona performance of high-voltage transmission lines. Research Studies Press, BaldockGoogle Scholar
- 7.Green DW, Perry RH, Maloney JO (1997) Densities of pure substances. Perry’s Chem Eng Handb 7:2–28Google Scholar
- 8.L. R. Group (1977) Positive Discharges in Long Air Gaps at Les Renardières–1975 Results and Conclusions. Electra 53:31–153Google Scholar
- 9.Meek MJ, Craggs JD (1978) Electrical breakdown of gases. Physics Bulletin 30(6):266Google Scholar
- 29.Pancheshnyi S, Eismann B, Hagelaar G, Pitchford L (2008) Computer code ZDPlasKin. University of Toulouse, LAPLACE, CNRS-UPS-INP, ToulouseGoogle Scholar
- 32.Morgan L. Plasma chemistry modeling—KINEMA research and software LLC. http://kinema.com/plasma-chemistry-modeling/
- 38.G. J. M. Hagelaar. (2013). Bolsig+: Electron Boltzmann equation solver. http://www.bolsig.laplace.univ-tlse.fr/how2use.php
- 41.(26 May 2014) Morgan Database (online). http://www.lxcat.net
- 42.(13 March 2014) Phelps Database (online). http://www.lxcat.net