The Santa Clara Ethics Scale
Ethics and ethical decision-making are important for well-functioning communities and societies, including college campuses. Yet, there are very few high quality, cost-effective, relevant, and easy-to-use assessment instruments currently available. This paper introduces the new Santa Clara Ethics Scale, a very brief no-cost questionnaire assessing general ethics. The 10-item scale was administered to 200 university students along with several other measures to assess convergent and divergent validity. Information regarding the validity and reliability of the scale along with test utility is presented. Implications for future research and use are discussed as well.
KeywordsEthics College Morality Assessment
- American Psychological Association. (2017). Code of ethics: General principles. Washington, DC: Author. http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/. Accessed 29 July 2017.
- Ethics. (n.d.). English Oxford Living Dictionaries online. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/ethics.
- Facts & Stats. (2015). http://www.plagiarism.org/resources/facts-and stats/.
- Liddell, D. L., Halpin, G., & Halpin, W. G. (1992). The measure of moral orientation: Measuring the ethics of care and justice. Journal of College Student Development, 33(4), 325–330.Google Scholar
- National Institutes of Health Task Force of the National Advisory Council on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. (2002). High-risk drinking in college: What we know and what we need to learn. http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/media/FINALPanel1.pdf.
- Plante, T. G. (2004). Do the right thing: Living ethically in an unethical world. Oakland: New Harbinger.Google Scholar
- Plante, T. G., & Plante, L. G. (2017). Graduating with honor: Best practices to promote ethics development in college students. Santa Barbara: Praeger/ABC-CLIO.Google Scholar
- Smith, W. L., & Zhang, P. (2009). The academic ethic and the transition to college. College Student Journal, 43(1), 86–98.Google Scholar
- Vaughn, L. (2015). Beginning ethics: An introduction to moral philosophy. New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault. (2014). Not alone: The first report of the white house task force to protect students from sexual assault. Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar