Crisis of Church Decline in and Revitalization of Korean Churches
- 137 Downloads
In this book forum, I expand Jang’s discussion of the crisis of church decline today in S Korea and propose that developing the psychological, in addition to spiritual, maturity of church leaders as well as the laity, is critical to regaining hope in the church, and suggest that the church must prioritize the development of the psychological maturity of people as its foremost mission in contemporary society.
KeywordsChurch decline Hope Psychological maturity Agents of joy Bible Spirituality of joy
- Barth, K. (1960). Church dogmatics. (Vol. III/2) (G. W. Bromiley and T. F. Torrance (Eds.), (trans: Knight, H., Bromiley, G.W., Reid, J.K.S., and Fuller, R. H.). Edinburgh: T. & T. Clark.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. (1989). The future of an illusion. In J. Strachey (Ed.), The standard edition. New York: W. W. Norton & Company.Google Scholar
- Global Religious Futures Project (2011). Global Christianity:A report on the size and distribution of the world’s Christian population. Washington D.C., Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life.Google Scholar
- Hoffman, J. P. (1998). Confidence in religious institutions and secularization: Trends and implications. RRR, 39(3), 321–343.Google Scholar
- Houtman, D., & Mascini, P. (2002). Why do churches become empty, While new age grows?—Secularization and religious change in Netherlands. JSSR, 41(3), 455–473.Google Scholar
- Jin, S. Y. (2014). Requesting discharge from pastorship of the sexual criminal, Reverend Jun Byung Wook. Kukmin ilbo(The people’s daily news). http://news.kmib.co.kr/article/view.asp?arcid=0922886441&code=23111111&cp=nv. Accessed 19 Dec 2014.
- Jung, Y. S. (2010). The scandal of sexual harassment. News hanguk(Korea). http://www.newshankuk.com/news/content.asp?news_idx=20101102083700n9623. Accessed 2 Nov 2010.
- Kim, B. R., & URD (Unity, Renewal, Diakonia Publisher). (2013). The analysis report of Korean Christianity: The researching report for the religious life and consciousness of Korean in 2013 (한국기독교분석리포트: 2013 한국인의 종교생활과 의식조사 보고서). Seoul: URD.Google Scholar
- Kniss, F. (1977). Culture wars(?): Remapping the battleground. In R. Williams (Ed.), Cultural wars in American politics: Critical reviews of a popular myth (pp. 259–282). New York: Aldine de Gruyter.Google Scholar
- Kohut, H. (1971). The analysis of the self: A systematic approach to the psychoanalytic treatment of narcissistic personality disorders (8th ed.). Madison: International Universities Press, INC..Google Scholar
- Kohut, H. (1977). The restoration of the self (8th ed.). Madison: International Universities Press, INC..Google Scholar
- Lee, W. G. (2010). Crisis and hope of Korean churches from the perspective of sociology of religion (종교사회학적 관점에서 본 한국교회의 위기와 희망). Seoul: KMC Publications.Google Scholar
- Son, A. (2013). Spirituality of joy: Moving beyond dread and duties. Seoul: Jeyoung Communicaitons.Google Scholar
- Son, A. (2017). Recapturing the Bible as the living word through God as selfobject: The descriptive eclipsed into the prescriptive in pastoral practices and the Bible. Sacred Spaces, 9, 128–160.Google Scholar