Refractive index from negative to positive with frequencies at the Dirac-like cone in a photonic crystal
- 33 Downloads
In this paper, we numerically study the threefold accidental degeneracy conical dispersion (Driac-like cone) at the Brillouin zone center of the two-dimensional photonic crystals, which are composed of silicon pillars arranging in a triangular lattice. The effective permittivity and permeability near the Dirac-like point evolve from negative to positive by using the method of eigen-field averaging. Also, the isotropic behaviour of the Dirac-like cone is revealed by analysing the isofrequency contours. Moreover, we carry out numerical simulations including the reverse Snell’s law effect, negative Goos–Hänchen shifts and superfocusing lens to verify the negative refractive index characteristics of the designed structure. The proposed structure might find significant applications in the on-chip photonic interconnect and the photonic integrated circuit techniques.
KeywordsNegative refraction Photonic crystal Dirac-like cone
The authors are grateful to the support by the Natural Science Fund of China under Grant No. 11774103, Project for Cultivating Postgraduates’ Innovative Ability in Scientific Research of Huaqiao University (17013082023), Quanzhou City Science & Technology Program of China under Grant No. 2018C003, Open Project of Fujian Key Laboratory of Semiconductor Materials and Applications under No. 2019001.
- AbdelMalek, F., Belhadj, W., Haxha, S., Bouchriha, H.: Realization of a high coupling efficiency by employing a concave lens based on two-dimensional photonic crystals with a negative refractive index. J. Lightwave Technol. 25(10), 3168–3174 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1109/jlt.2007.904027 CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- Chen, J., Wang, Y., Jia, B., Geng, T., Li, X., Feng, L., Qian, W., Liang, B., Zhang, X., Gu, M., Zhuang, S.: Observation of the inverse Doppler effect in negative-index materials at optical frequencies. Nat. Photonics 5(4), 239–242 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1038/nphoton.2011.17 CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- Hänchen, F.G.H.: Ein neuer und fundamental Versuch zur Totalreflexion. Ann. Phys. 1, 333–346 (1947)Google Scholar
- Li, Z.F., Zhao, R.K., Koschny, T., Kafesaki, M., Alici, K.B., Colak, E., Caglayan, H., Ozbay, E., Soukoulis, C.M.: Chiral metamaterials with negative refractive index based on four “U” split ring resonators. Appl. Phys. Lett. 97(8), 081901 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3457448 CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- Ramadurgam, S., Lin, T.G., Yang, C.: Tailoring optical and plasmon resonances in core-shell and core-multishell nanowires for visible range negative refraction and plasmonic light harvesting: a review. J. Mater. Sci. Technol. 31(6), 533–541 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmst.2015.01.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar